Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

FPS drop problem

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goni D Greek

02-04-2015

I love to play lol with music but my pc is really bad.I have fps drop all the time while playing Lol.Its better to play with capped fps at 60,uncapped(i get 120-130fps but ocassionaly my fps drop under 30 and its unplayable).And whats best to listen music,to reduce my fps drop problems(youtube,windows media player,spotify or grooveshark) ?

Eshu

02-05-2015

The best solution for your computer would be to completely disable sounds and listen to music from your phone or mp player. though you say goodbye to FX sounds this way but it saves the most memory possible while still allowing you to listen to something.

ReDevilSRO

02-05-2015

Try takeing other applications off,shadows off(it really hurts your fps and doesn't give too much in return),you could increase your fps if you uncheck "wait for vertical sync".Also,with the music, if you have a playlist on yt and it changes to another video when the song is over might be the reason of those drops(this is happening to me too,but it's a slight drop,like from 200 to 170),take a vid with all songs in it so it won't have to change.

luriCos

02-05-2015

Try plaing in windowed fullscreen. This helps in many cases when using background applications that need a higher priority.

Coreeshi

02-05-2015

@ReDevilSRO if your monitor supports 60Hz and I suppose it does, it doesn't matter if you have 60 or 6000 FPS. So turning that off won't help much cuz it doesn't do much anyway. It creates horizontal tears of your picture that you can notice if you look real close. It's not like it affects your gameplay, I'm just saying. Just google "screen tearing" and look at the images and then ingame go over the light beam over the turret for example and start moving your camera left and right and you will notice them. Point is that waiting for vertical sync doesn't affect the FPS drops.

luriCos

02-05-2015

@Coreeshi it depends on your monitor if tearing will occur. I run League of Legends in Windowed Fullscreen between 80-130 fps tops. Never had tearing. I also have VSync disabled. Tearing is hardware releated and happens when one half frame is not in sync with the other half frame. When Vsync is enabled a full frame would be rendered first and then send to the monitor. VSync is only needed when you have grafic issues.

Having VSync enabled however can decrease performance since the framebuffer has to wait for a full screen image. VSync will add a tiny bit of input lag which can be a problem when you need that extra 18-20ms to react to what you see. I recommend always disabling vsync and only limit the maximum framerate when you have frame rate drops.

E.g. You have 120fps tops and it falls down to 80-90 then set it to 80 or lower.

-

League of legends tend to lag at some point when many effects will crash in your view point. I do notice this sometimes when my frame rate drops to 50 for a second.

I believe that the netcode tends to get out of sync over time when it tries to sync all players i.e. 4 players have package loss or not enough upload available to resend a package for a ms and the server would try to sync them slowing you down for the same amount of time which would usually result in a slight hickup when you have lag at that exact moment. Problem how can you switch to real time when all in sync again? well you drop frames ...

There is not much you can do since package loss will happen. You can try to avoid it by finding a good fps value to minimze those effects.

Coreeshi

02-06-2015

Having a lag issue like the one you describe will cause problems no matter the frame rate you normaly sustain either way, with vsync on or off.
You are right that it depends on the hardware, but if his machine is able to go to 120-130 I reckon it should be good enough for the framebuffer not to cause that much problems if everything is working properly, which in his case I think it's not. Thus the problem is not in the VSync, but rather in something else and that makes turning the VSync on or off irrelevant in his case.
My point was that in his case specificaly turning it on or off will not change anything. His machine drops 100 FPS when Vsync is off and 30 when it's on. It goes down to 30 either way. So it's obviously something else that is fcking it up and not the VSync.
If your machine supports like ~80 FPS then I agree that with no VSync is better, but if it's good enough to go to 200+ then it's better to turn it off, cuz it obviously is good enough for the framebuffer to not add a noticeable lag imo.
And just for the record, I have never experienced frame drops in LoL. VSync or not. I mean, if I ALT+TAB to something else and go back to LoL the first second or so my FPS is ~30, but that's understandable. But in game while I play my FPS stays stable either way.

Chime95

02-06-2015

Well i guess you are using 2Gb RAM or 4 Gb( with loads of junk on your PC) either try cleaning it from unecessery junk(CCleaner, uninstall toolbars and other bloatware) or get more RAM for your PC 4 GB costs around 20-40 EU in my country AFAIK.