Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Champion rework Suggestion] Nocturne, the Eternal Nightmare!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fred is the name

01-29-2015

Hello community!
As we all know, old champions have some large issues when compared to standards of league these days. Nocturne is no exception unfortunately. We know that Nocturne himself is a powerful champion, but when his abilities are all put together... Well, they moderately work with eachother.
As a person who made over a hundred of champions (But posted only one on the forums), i accidentally made a champion who's skillset would work well for a Nocturne rework. I wouldn't think of it myself.
A friend of mine, my personal champion reviewer once had the great opportunity to talk with a rioter. "Why nerf nocturne all the time since his release instead of buffing him?" was the question, and he got the answer : "If i had to buff nocturne, i would rework him as a whole."
He also got the very important information about how Nocturne should feel like : "Having a scary ghost coming out of nowhere,denying your vision,shielding himself when you try to defend yourself, buffing himself when he is chasing you and adding his CC on you."
Believe it or not, i accidentally hit all of those rules in one skillset. I guess it is an appropriate time to share it :

Passive - True Fear
Panic - Targeted projectiles (Ranged autoattacks for an example) will miss if Nocturne disappears from the enemy's vision before the projectile hits him. (Caitlyn's ult reveals the target untill it is hit, so no, Nocturne is not immune to it)
Fear - Instead of mana, Nocturne has Fear as his resource bar. The bar is normally empty, but fills up as Nocturne attacks enemies. Maximum capacity of the fear bar is 100. Nocturne needs Fear to use Dead Fog.
Nocturne's abilities are augmented when used at 100 Fear, but the fear is not consumed when used.
Fear decays after not attacking for a certain amount of time.
Fear generation / basic attack - 5
Fear decay rate - 25/sec after 15 seconds without attacking

Q - Dead Fog
Toggled on : Nocturne begins to lose Fear, but covers himself in a fog. While covered by the fog, Nocturne gains movement speed and damage reduction. When first toggled on, Nocturne begins invisible for 1 second, but you can still see the mist that covers him. So you can't target him, but you know where it is. This ability cannot be used when Nocturne is out of Fear. When toggled on, Nocturne cannot gain Fear.
Toggled off : Nothing happens, but Nocturne is again able to gain Fear.
Cooldown - 7 seconds
Fear consumption rate - 15/sec
Movement speed increase - 15/17.5/20/22.5/25%
Reduction of damage taken - 10/13/16/19/22% (Incrased to 20/25/30/35/40% against neutral monsters)

W - Cut through the Darkness
Passive - This ability holds up to 2 charges.
Active - Nocturne sends a pulse of dark energy to the nearest enemy unit, or either a unit Nocturne has attacked within the last 2 seconds. Stricken target takes damage, and has a debuff applied to him for 4 seconds. This debuff amplifies the damage the target takes from Nocturne - From basic attacks, abilities, EVERYTHING, but only from Nocturne. This debuff stacks.
ADDITIONALLY, Nocturne gains a stacking buff after attacking a marked enemy. This buff causes Nocturne to generate bonus Fear over a certain period of time.
Cut through the darkness terrifies it's target if it's used at 100 Fear. Can occur only once every 8 seconds. If used at 100 Fear while the target is immune to this ability's terrifying effect, it's replaced by a slow.
Cooldown - 1 second
Charge generation rate - 12/11/10/9/8 seconds
Initial damage - 30/50/75/105/140 (+0.3 bonus AD) physical damage
Damage amplification - 4.5/6.5/8.5/10.5/12.5% / stack
Fear generation per stack of the buff on Nocturne - 3 over 4 seconds (Stacks up to 3)
Range - 500
Fear duration - 1.5 sec
Slow - 30% for 2 seconds

E - Veil of Nightmares
Passive - Causes Dead Fog not to consume Fear for a short time after activated.
Active - Nocturne covers himself in a shield made of the nightmares of his foes. The shield blocks incoming damage for up to 4 seconds. When the shield is up, Nocturne's attacks deal damage to his shield. The enemy he is attacking receives additional damage from Nocturne's attacks. The damage is equal to a scaling value + damage Nocturne has inflicted to his shield with this attack. If the shield is broken by Nocturne's attacks, he gains bonus movement speed for a short duration.
Dead Fog's damage reduction works on the shield when Nocturne is attacking. The shield then takes reduced damage, but Nocturne still deals full damage as if the shield didn't benefit from damage reduction. (Less damage to the shield = More hits. More hits = More damage)
When used at 100 Fear, Nocturne gains increased health regeneration for a few seconds.
Cooldown - 14/12.5/11/9.5/8 seconds (After the shield expires/is destroyed)
Shield health - 60/100/140/180/220 (+0.7 bonus AD)
Nocturne's damage to the shield - 35% of damage he dealt with the basic attack (Can't exceed 33% of the shield's max health per attack)
Damage bonus when the shield is up - 10/20/30/40/50 (+ 100% of damage Nocturne dealt to the shield) as magic damage
MS Buff after self-breaking the shield - 25% for 1.5 sec (decays rapidly)
Passive duration - 0.9/1.3/1.7/2.1/2.5 sec
Health regen at 100 Fear - 40% of the shield's max value over 5 seconds

R - Paranoia
Passive - Reduces Fear's decay rate.
Active - Upon casting, a darkness covers the entire map for 4 seconds, dramatically reducing the vision of all enemy champions and giving Nocturne vision on them.
Nocturne is invisible and moves quickly in the darkness, but enemies have vision in a small area around them when the mist is up (They basically remove the darkness in a close range around them, like in real life : The fog/mist covers vision some meters away from you, depending on how big it is.)
While the darkness persists, Nocturne can recast this ability on an enemy champion to appear in the mist behind him and fill up his Fear bar. This particular target will have the darkness up around him for additional 2 seconds. Allies don't have vision of that target when they are close enough to that target. If they come close enough and see what's happening to that target, they will pay a cost of not seeing outside of the darkness that covers the champion. Kinda complicated.
Cooldown - 160/130/100 seconds
Teleportation range - 2000/3000/4000
Nocturne teleports to a target just outside of it's vision range
Passive decay reduction - 20/15/10 Fear / Sec

Overall kit synergy :
Nocturne gets behind his enemy with Paranoia. Fears his enemy with Cut through the darkness and then hits him again with it to apply another stack, amplifying his incoming damage.
He then pops Veil of nightmares to melt through his enemy's health. E's movement speed buff helps him chase the target if it survived, or either get out if Nocturne is finished. Dead fog to follow the target or ensure a safe getaway.
In the jungle - W to amplify damage dealt to the camp + to gain Fear. At 100 Fear, gank with Q's fear or either proceed to clear the jungle further - Regenerate some health with Veil of nightmares, cover some damage from a camp, deal some additional damage yourself and reduce further damage with Dead Fog if needed.
You want to gank someone by opening with Dead Fog and then fear him with Cut through the darkness but Dead Fog takes away 15 Fear so the W's fear won't work? Level up E so Dead Fog will give you some time before losing the Fear, making it possible to both activate it and apply a fear to your target!
You can't see sense in Veil of darkness? "So it is a shield, or a damage dealer?" Simple! You want to run away = You shield yourself. You can rip apart the enemy's health bar with the shield's damage when he is defenseless (For an example has the fear from W applied) and can't take it off you himself.

Your opinions : I await them.

Fred is the name

02-04-2015

Bump

Kythlilth

02-04-2015

No.

Fred is the name

02-04-2015

Quote:
Kythlilth:
No.

K den.
Explain why. Express yourself.
Heh, what did i expect...

THG Lagoon

02-06-2015

Nah. In my opinion, i'd say that remakes are for the older or super broken champions that would need to make them useless if they'd get nerfed. I think remakes on older champions should be focus right now. You've got a nice idea of a remake doe! ;]

Fred is the name

02-08-2015

Quote:
THG Lagoon:
Nah. In my opinion, i'd say that remakes are for the older or super broken champions that would need to make them useless if they'd get nerfed. I think remakes on older champions should be focus right now. You've got a nice idea of a remake doe! ;]

Yeah, you're right. Nocturne doesn't REALLY need a rework currently but we have to face that one day every champion will get a rework. I adore your honesty.