Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I quit.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eruthros

10-25-2014

I quit.

The toxicity of players is really getting to me. And I can only handle so many games with afks and people being insulting before I lose it. The mute button isn't a powerful enough tool to deal with the frustration that happens when somebody starts feeding, or other team members start fighting.

In essence, when half of the games are a waste of time, that is a waste of my life. That is time able to be put elsewhere.

I made this choice. And I know that a lot of you are going to rage at me for doing so, you'll just demonstrate the failing of this community and prove how correct I am.

The idea that all online communities are toxic is total non-sense.

A few months/years ago, we had the 'cancer' threat. Now, we also have the 'ebola' threat.

To say that all online communities are toxic is a fallacy and a poor excuse to justify the behavior of the children that play this game.

I think that League of Legends is a pretty slick game. I will miss it. It's a game with a lot of fun, except for the people.

While I have met some cool guys in LoL, the majority are inhumane, thoughtless, rude, immature, and if they ever spoke to somebody or treated them like trash in real life they'd get stomped.

And you know what ?

I'm a decent LoL player; I know all the roles, I played for 4 years, since s1(America, West, East) before quitting because of how angry I get.

I don't suck at LoL; I would win with a good team, and lose with teams that had rage-quitters and raging trolls. Sometimes I could even carry a bad team to victory.

But the sad truth is, LoL is just a waste of TIME, and time is life.

Once you find yourself raging because of a game it is time to move on, it's just a game. Life is far more valuable.

There is no fixing broken.

And so many people that play this game are broken and need therapy.

There are many many better games out there. And far better people.

That being said, I think that League of Legends will fail unless the following steps are taken :

- Ranked play with 5 man pre-made teams. Being able to game with my friends and people who are cool alleviated all the stress of toxic players. I can then CHOOSE to not play with toxic players. I may reinstall to play not-ranked with my friends.

- Real consequences for hate speech, leavers, intentional feeders, such as perma-ban after the 2nd time they're banned.. If you want to play ranked and think you are pro, then have the attitude to match it. In the real world, treating people with hate speech and threats can land a person in jail. Exactly how is that kind of behavior justifiable and excusable just because its online?

- Pay to play ; a lot of kids will stop playing if the game is for play and the rest of us wouldn't mind shelling out some money to avoid toxic players.

- Ranked play based on 1 v 1 play ; this is a demonstration of true skill and not based on the whims of some emotional pre-teen.

- Choose with what players you want to be matched. There were plenty of times I was matched up with the same toxic players. A block button, like mute, would be a great solution to block people who I don't want them to be matched with me again.

Thank you Riot for making such a cool game. Please take action to support this creation you've conjured up.

Listen to your community. People are leaving and quitting over the toxicity on a regular basis.

Live long, and prosper.

Hansiman

Senior Wrenchman

10-25-2014

Quote:
Eruthros:

- Ranked play with 5 man pre-made teams. Being able to game with my friends and people who are cool alleviated all the stress of toxic players. I can then CHOOSE to not play with toxic players. I may reinstall to play not-ranked with my friends.

Ranked teams have been in the game for years already..

Quote:
Eruthros:

- Real consequences for hate speech, leavers, intentional feeders, such as perma-ban after the 2nd time they're banned.. If you want to play ranked and think you are pro, then have the attitude to match it. In the real world, treating people with hate speech and threats can land a person in jail. Exactly how is that kind of behavior justifiable and excusable just because its online?

Being done, but when a game has over 70 million active accounts, there will always be those who slip through.

Quote:
Eruthros:

- Pay to play ; a lot of kids will stop playing if the game is for play and the rest of us wouldn't mind shelling out some money to avoid toxic players.

That's not going to change anything. I've played several pay2play games that have had a worse community than this.

Quote:
Eruthros:

- Choose with what players you want to be matched. There were plenty of times I was matched up with the same toxic players. A block button, like mute, would be a great solution to block people who I don't them to be matched with me again.

That's really not possible. Eventually people will have so many people in their blocklist that matchmaking will be unable to find proper teams. We're talking queues for several hours just to get in a game that may be over in 20 minutes.

It also opens up for high level of abuse in the higher divisions.

Eruthros

10-25-2014

Quote:
Hansiman:
Ranked teams have been in the game for years already..

That's really not possible. Eventually people will have so many people in their blocklist that matchmaking will be unable to find proper teams. We're talking queues for several hours just to get in a game that may be over in 20 minutes.

It also opens up for high level of abuse in the higher divisions.

That's true. I always forget the system abusers. How naive I am.

Dextix LT

10-25-2014

Quote:
To say that all online communities are toxic is a fallacy and a poor excuse to justify the behavior of the children that play this game.

Whole communities are not toxic, the toxic part is the loud minority of the gamewhich everyone notices. Imagine being in a room with 100 people. 1 of them starts shouting and others just stay silent. Which ones you will remember the most? Yea, the loud a-hole.

Thats how our brain works. Every community has toxic parts, right now you are commiting a fallacy yourself by saying that the majority of players in this game are toxic, without any numbers or anything. I meet about 2 toxic guy in 1 game. I played about idk 800 games in my LOL history? So that means that the toxic people i got in my games are 2 * 800 = 1600. And non toxic 8 * 800 = 64000. NOt exact numbers but about.

So how do you judge the whole community from a loud minority that you remember?

Quote:

There are many many better games out there. And far better people.

BEtter games? In what sense? In what area? better for whom?

Better people? What is a good man? What is a bad one?

Quote:
I'm a decent LoL player; I know all the roles, I played for 4 years, since s1(America, West, East) before quitting because of how angry I get.

Isnt that really your problem? Since riot has impelented a mute system for you to use?

Quote:

But the sad truth is, LoL is just a waste of TIME, and time is life.

What if i told you that you are wasting your life every second of it? HOw do you not waste time? Is time really being wasted if you are having fun? Does that mean that we waste time watching football for example? Washing a car?

Quote:

I made this choice. And I know that a lot of you are going to rage at me for doing so, you'll just demonstrate the failing of this community and prove how correct I am.

Again, generalising and being prejudiced. So what do we prove if we talk like me?
Quote:

People are leaving and quitting over the toxicity on a regular basis.

Yea, just to come back after 1 moth or so, and yes, they do that.

Look. In all this post you were using general statements, no proof, generalised, was biased. I just cant take anything of what you said seriously.

You talk about falacies in your own text, but you commit them in your own text!

Now to talk about your suggestions........

Quote:

Yea, you can actually create a ranked team and play with your own friends, you can also queqe in a normal simple game too.
Quote:

People get banned, chat restricted and punished in other ways for this behaviour. Of course not all get punished. But do all criminals get punished in the real world?

Quote:

How do you know that? How many pay 2 play games have you seen? I have seen many, and what you said is just not true, there are a lot of toxic slurs in there too. Pay wall doesnt stop them, because hey, kids have money too.

Quote:
- Ranked play based on 1 v 1 play ; this is a demonstration of true skill and not based on the whims of some emotional pre-teen.

In a team game that is BASED on 5 v 5 battles? How does 1 v 1 demonstrate your true skill? So basically by applying this we could also judge footbal skill from 1 v 1 battles too?

All your suggestions are either applied already, or cant be applied.

Eruthros

10-25-2014

Quote:
Dextix LT:
Whole communities are not toxic, the toxic part is the loud minority of the gamewhich everyone notices. Imagine being in a room with 100 people. 1 of them starts shouting and others just stay silent. Which ones you will remember the most? Yea, the loud a-hole.

Thats how our brain works. Every community has toxic parts, right now you are commiting a fallacy yourself by saying that the majority of players in this game are toxic, without any numbers or anything. I meet about 2 toxic guy in 1 game. I played about idk 800 games in my LOL history? So that means that the toxic people i got in my games are 2 * 800 = 1600. And non toxic 8 * 800 = 64000. NOt exact numbers but about.

So how do you judge the whole community from a loud minority that you remember?[quote] That's what I said.

[QUOTE=Dextix LT;6488305]
BEtter games? In what sense? In what area? better for whom?

Better people? What is a good man? What is a bad one?

I played an MMORPG few years ago, the people I met were very friendly, a kind. Mostly because they were adult, mature people, and not 16 years old teenagers.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

Isnt that really your problem? Since riot has impelented a mute system for you to use?
I get angry because of intentional trolling,
feeding, leaving games/going afk because losing. They take me down with them, that's my problem.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

What if i told you that you are wasting your life every second of it? HOw do you not waste time? Is time really being wasted if you are having fun? Does that mean that we waste time watching football for example? Washing a car?
If I get angry(=not enjoying the game), then it's a waste of time.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

Again, generalising and being prejudiced. So what do we prove if we talk like me?
That LoL has still some kind and noble people.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

Yea, just to come back after 1 moth or so, and yes, they do that.
This is, sadly, true. Including me.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

Look. In all this post you were using general statements, no proof, generalised, was biased. I just cant take anything of what you said seriously.
You know that everything I said is true. And let me remind you again, that I play 4 years. Nothing changed since s1.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

Yea, you can actually create a ranked team and play with your own friends, you can also queqe in a normal simple game too.
If my memory doesn't cheat on me, before s3 we could rank with 3 and 4 people, not just 2-5. That's what I tried to say.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

People get banned, chat restricted and punished in other ways for this behaviour. Of course not all get punished. But do all criminals get punished in the real world?
That's true.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

How do you know that? How many pay 2 play games have you seen? I have seen many, and what you said is just not true, there are a lot of toxic slurs in there too. Pay wall doesnt stop them, because hey, kids have money too.
My point is that the amount of the abusers will be decreased dramatically.

Quote:
Dextix LT:

In a team game that is BASED on 5 v 5 battles? How does 1 v 1 demonstrate your true skill? So basically by applying this we could also judge footbal skill from 1 v 1 battles too?
Fencing, tennis, ping pong, tae kwon do, are some examples of 1v1.

Hansiman

Senior Wrenchman

10-25-2014

Quote:
Eruthros:

Fencing, tennis, ping pong, tae kwon do, are some examples of 1v1.

Then try that. Because this is a team-game.

Dim Gremory

10-25-2014

Eruthros, you've been playing for 4 seasons now. You can see the situation isn't going to improve. Either find another online game which uses a 1v1 system, or just learn chess. I agree with your position, especially that games you do not enjoy are a big waste of time. The only solution is to stop playing.

Eruthros

10-25-2014

Quote:
Hansiman:

Or simple add an 1v1 map.

Onizuka

10-25-2014

Quote:
Hansiman:

rekt

Hansiman

Senior Wrenchman

10-25-2014

Quote:
Eruthros:
Or simple add an 1v1 map.

They did have that as a mode once. They saw that it wasn't actually used by enough players to warrant implementing it.