Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xerath, the Magus Ascendant Rework on PBE Today!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

Systems Designer

10-10-2013

Summoners!

The Xerath rework is here and ready for testing on the PBE. We wanted to help better shape Xerath to fit the modern League of Legends environment, improve the character’s feel and sell his fantasy as a mage commanding unleashed power.

After listening to your feedback, we’ve made the following major changes:

• Passive: No longer grants armor, now grants % magic penetration and restores mana on basic attacks.
  • Q: Can now be charged to increase the spell’s range. Mana cost and damage slightly increased.
  • W: Is now a targeted AoE explosion that deals additional damage in the center and slows all enemies struck. Enemies in the center are slowed more.
  • E: Is now a skillshot missile which stuns champions.
  • R: Is a combination of Xerath’s old W and R.
  • Immobilize yourself to gain a super-long ranged attack which deals magic damage each time you click the cursor for 3 seconds. (Max 4 shots)

Our intent is to ensure that Xerath’s core pattern is fun and engaging, but his ultimate use is a rare, powerful long-ranged attack.

Please provide feedback – our future tweaks to Xerath will be influenced by your input.

Where should we be focusing our feedback?
  • Ultimate - I am particularly interested in feedback on Xerath's ultimate. It has a very unique control method that will take some getting used to.
  • Spell names - this is a unique opportunity to contribute your idea for what Xerath's spells should be called. I'll be reviewing EUNE, EUW and NA for ideas!
  • Range - Xerath's ult gives him ridiculous range. This is intended to be his strength. Please let me know how it feels both as user and victim.
  • Relative power of abilities - I want to know if you feel like too much damage is tied up in a particular ability.
  • Skin VFX - His Battlecast and Runeborn skins have new colors. Provide feedback!
  • Audio - How do his new abilities sound?

Where should I not be focusing my feedback?
  • Molten Xerath - This skin hasn't been updated yet.
  • Xerath's model - We did not overhaul his model, just add animations for the new Arcanopulse and ultimate attack.

Xerath has been in development for a while and we feel reasonably confident in his core abilities and VFX. I do want to hear your concerns, but keep in mind, we are not very likely to dramatically change Xerath's Q/W/E visually.

Thank you guys, I am looking forward to letting you see a few iterations of Xerath before he goes live.
-Xelnath
Wizardlock of Game Design

P.S. Zenon the Stoic has kindly offered to help me with Xerath. Please assist him if he has any questions.

Extricate

10-10-2013

You could name his ultimate "Extricate", since he entangles from his bounds and gains endless power for a short time.

Pyro

10-10-2013

Awesome! Can't wait to test him. Hopefully season 4 will mark the return of traditional mages, either by reworks or itemization changes. Maybe one day even Brand will get picked competitively, who knows...

See you guys on PBE!

About "Extricate" - you've been waiting for this a long time, haven't you? "Unbinding" fits what it does with his spell power, but at the same time it binds him to one place... Anyway, the verb suggests releasement from a knot, stack, multiple entities, while Xerath's ultimate is much more binary. (power -> POWER! -> power)

Riot Pwyff

Player Communication

10-10-2013

I'm posting just to add red visiblity, given that Xelnath doesn't seem to show up as a red poster, hmm...

Pyro

10-10-2013

Found this gem in the game files:

Quote:
Emperor's Sceptre

+100 Ability Power

UNIQUE Passive - Spell Piercing: Magic damage ignores 50% of the target's Magic Resist (applies before Magic Penetration).
UNIQUE Passive - Supremacy: Xerath can now reach level 20.
UNIQUE Active - Mana Pulse: Releases a mana pulse that senses any nearby enemies (30 second cooldown).

This is obviously a scrap from one of the many drafts, but I'd seriously consider enabling this sort of personal item for underplayed mages such as Brand, Veigar, or Viktor.

Xelnath

Systems Designer

10-10-2013

Quote:
Pyro:
Found this gem in the game files:

This is obviously a scrap from one of the many drafts, but I'd seriously consider enabling this sort of personal item for underplayed mages such as Brand, Veigar, or Viktor.

Yep, I originally had an item that was Xerath unique that allowed him to buy even more spell penetration. We instead decided to make the spell pen on his passive increase non-linearly.

Darche

10-10-2013

Passive - Overwhelming Power
Q - Arcanopulse
W - Eldritch Blast
E - Mystic Missile
R - Arcane Torrent

Also does Xerath have new voiceovers?

Vein

10-10-2013

Patching, can't wait to test. Will provide detailed feedback tomorrow, reserving the post for future use. Posting @ EUNE so Xelnath notices.

>>My first impression post on page 2 (http://forums.eune.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=5668014#post5668014)<<

EDIT: Opinion on visual effects.

I like all of them, except for the Q particle. I actually liked the lightning effect much more, but I believe Kennen is our stormy lightning guy, so we have beams of energy now. I think the Q particle needs additional effects or details, for now they all look like recolored pencil crayons in his 3 release skins.

Disclaimer: I'm a Diamond S2 and S3 D1 currently player who mains Xerath since his release and is really concerned with the rework. Other accounts: Vein @ EUW / Cox @ EUW to see my Xerath stats.

Aethelthryth

10-10-2013

Ok here we go! As a relatively high rated support player who loves playing Xerath I want to address something before I give my feedback to the incoming changes of the Magus Ascendant. Right now in his current state Xerath is the most powerful late game hyper carry and this should not be overlooked. He is a champion that has unique strengths that tend to reward mechanically strong players. Xeraths that know how to farm efficiently in the laning phase and position in teamfights in a way that will maximize their range advantage can be incredibly nasty opponents. Furthermore the champion has access to a relatively consistent CC at level two which makes him almost impossible to gank with the current weak jungle and intense warding on mid. Xerath in my opinion can die in the laning phase in one of two ways. Ether a very serious missplay from the Xerath player or amazing prediction from a jungler/anti-timing of a ward. It is true that the champion has an incredibly high skill cap due to his skillshots but good players like PapaBaron, Sebekx and g0pa keep wrecking solo queue with him. Is it really smart to give such an already dominating champion even more power? Sure it will help out less skilled and mechanically prepared players but the people who understand and play the champion to his fullest will just destroy the ladder. Also right now Xerath is extremely snowbally. His high burst that comes up every minute just destroys opponents who have died and fell behind a dorans ring or a level.

The new passive changes the compositions in which Xearth will be picked, especially in team games. His current role of an AP hyper carry that excels at following up hard initiation will most likely remain but the match ups he used to be good at will no longer work the same way. However keeping the % magic penetration will retain the fun way in which Xerath itemizes. He will still go for a **** ton of flat penetration and just destroy people outside of vision range.

His Q I imagine will become kind of like Varus' Q. Giving it more damage and increasing the mana cost is good because he will be able to a/ dance around with his opponent, who is aware that a blast is incoming and b/ clear whole minion waves for a higher mana cost which makes the gold he gets in exchange for the mana spent less efficient.

His new W entirely depends on its range. If a champion that builds only AP and flat magic penetration has 4 abilities that scale off of this AP and flat magic penetration, one of which abilities can be cast 4 times then I think we have a problem. If the ability improves Xerath's dueling potential in mellee range but cannot be used at the maximum range of his R - then great. If it hits you from the Wraight bush to the mid inner turret - then not cool at all. Because it being a soft CC on top of all makes it much easier to hit your skillshots and if it is basically a Leona ult for a W - then this is a problem.

His new E seems great. He will still be basically ungankable and it will work good with his W. You slow someone, pop him with the stun, pop him with the ult, kill him.

His new R is also great in my opinion. It is that thing that makes Xerath the champion he is. It will still do tons of damage it will still reward positioning and proper warding and unwarding so it an all round great high skill ability. The unique mechanic you are adding to it makes it even more fun since people who play a lot of Xerath will really shine.

All in all if these are the final changes - yes you will see Xeath in competitive play. Amongst the banned champions most likely. Also everyone in solo queue will start playing him and good Xerath players will cause a lot of damage in the high ladder.

About the other stuff - I don't care how he looks and sounds as long as you don't mess up his PERFECT auto attack animation. I don't know if I will like my new Scorched Earth Xerath but as I said - I don't really care.

Make sure to use Horizon at least once in the names of his kit. This champion truly deserves it (unlike some yordles). GG

RenJodi

10-10-2013

Q - eliminate
W - obliterate
E - incapacitate
R - annihilate

or

Q - arcanopulse
W - arcane maelstrom
E - mystic pressure
R - pure focus