Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

04-09-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Hey guys - I am the new eCommerce Director at Riot and am here to explain our pricing philosophies, decisions and policies, and to attempt to answer some of your questions. Pricing is always a controversial topic and I am prepared to take some abuse, but I also hope to have a productive dialog that is helpful to all. As a longtime (low ELO) player, I have been thrilled to learn that the commitment to players is infused into every aspect of how decisions are made at Riot, even when it is not immediately obvious from the outside looking in. I hope to give you more visibility into how that commitment impacts LoL pricing.

First, Id like to share the fundamental philosophies that will drive our pricing decisions.

1) Playing LoL should be super fun for players who dont spend money, ever. This means that players can experience a wide variety of play styles without purchasing anything, and can also be successful and reach their maximum potential from a competitive standpoint. Our data, some of which I will share in future posts, shows that we are achieving these objectives today, but this is not something that we can ever take for granted.
2) Players who support Riot by buying and spending RP should be rewarded with additional customization and be able to leverage their time more effectively. It is not cheap to support the most played game in the world, hire the best game dev talent, and release new content and functionality every week, and we are grateful to those who help us make that happen.

My priority is to make pricing decisions that support both of these philosophies making the game even more fun for all players while increasing the convenience and customization for those who support us. Those are not mutually exclusive. Riot has consistently raised the bar on both fronts and will continue to do so, and while there will always be some players who want more, my goal is to make sure we are living up to these philosophies in the eyes of the substantial majority of our players.

Now Id like to share new pricing decisions and promotions which will be implemented today:

1) IP and RP price reductions on the following champions:

• Garen will be reduced to 450 IP and 260 RP
  • Caitlyn will be reduced to 4800 IP and 790 RP
  • Maokai will be reduced to 4800 IP and 790 RP

2) Limited time rewards for stocking up on RP
  • Bonus RP will be doubled for the next six days (eg. 10 buys 1960, up from 1780)
  • A new 2.50 option will be available in the EU store (buys 400 RP)

These are just the first of many topics I plan to address as I settle into my new role, and like everyone at Riot, I will always be looking for ways to improve how I do my job and how I communicate with all of you. I look forward to your feedback!

- Hippalus

TwoThree232323

04-09-2012

Aww, I just bought RP a week ago

Anyway, it's nice to finally have someone to talk to about Riot's pricing strategies. I must admit some more transparency is long overdue here. I'm happy to see more price reductions, especially that I see an RP price reduction for the first time iirc. It's very nice to see.

I'd like to use this opportunity to ask you a question - are you planning maybe to reduce the cost of additional rune pages? Playing ranked with only two is barely possible (contrary to what a Rioter said in a recent interview at Pax) and the price of additional ones is steep and painfully prohibitive. I've spent money on RP to get the 7 page bundle, but I'm sure there are summoners who don't want to do that.

Sketches

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2012

Hey mang!
Will Croatia be added the Paysafe card option anytime soon?
Because my country is the on the Paysafe official sellers list but we didn't get the option in the client yet.

And as the guy above me mentioned, could the price on rune pages be reduced? I bought 3 of them with IP but I still need like 2-3 and with the new champions incoming and expensive runes I don't see how will that happen with 6300 IP price.

Simplici7y

04-09-2012

Hello Hippalus! I'm happy to see there is someone who can answer all of our pricing issues. Since I still didn't spend money on this game (well I've been playing for 3 months, but if my fav champ Malzahar gets a new skin and if they fix his bugs, I'll surely spend some money on it), I'm very grateful for your policy when it comes about privileges that your customers have.

This question may sound unfriendly, but please don't take it that way, I'm just curious. Is Riot intentionally releasing overpowered new champions to make people buy them, and then nerfing them after sales get lower? Because the way I see it now, many new champs were overpowered when released, even though people were complaining about it on PBE. Zyra got nerfed, Diana got nerfed - is Rengar also waiting a nerf?

Nevertheless, I support this game and respect the fact that it is completely free and people who pay don't gain unfair advantages over other players (like it is in many other games).

boldez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

Hippalus, its quite a big thing to ask but could you create a skin for a champion and permenantly donate all proffits for that skin to Make a wish foundation, i understand it propably isn't viable but its a charity i'm very passionate about and would love if you could discuss it with the riot team at all.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

05-09-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoThree232323 View Post
Aww, I just bought RP a week ago

Anyway, it's nice to finally have someone to talk to about Riot's pricing strategies. I must admit some more transparency is long overdue here. I'm happy to see more price reductions, especially that I see an RP price reduction for the first time iirc. It's very nice to see.

I'd like to use this opportunity to ask you a question - are you planning maybe to reduce the cost of additional rune pages? Playing ranked with only two is barely possible (contrary to what a Rioter said in a recent interview at Pax) and the price of additional ones is steep and painfully prohibitive. I've spent money on RP to get the 7 page bundle, but I'm sure there are summoners who don't want to do that.
Happy to be here - thanks for the welcome! And yes, even though some players can and do succeed with 2-3 rune pages, this issue clearly frustrates players more than most, and therefore it is very high on the list of what I want to fix.

Banders2

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketches View Post
Hey mang!
And as the guy above me mentioned, could the price on rune pages be reduced? I bought 3 of them with IP but I still need like 2-3 and with the new champions incoming and expensive runes I don't see how will that happen with 6300 IP price.
I don't see a need for this, i got 3 accounts, all of them I have bought the bundle of rune pages , right as I hit level 30, that is the one thing I put over everything. I feel the pricing is fine, I would everyday buy a runepage before i bought a 6k champ, cause well what is a champ if you don't have runes for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Happy to be here - thanks for the welcome! And yes, even though some players can and do succeed with 2-3 rune pages, this issue clearly frustrates players more than most, and therefore it is very high on the list of what I want to fix.
Not sure why/how you would fix it, I feel like most people just prioritize champs over runepages, 2-3 runepages is nowhere enough for playing for me. I had 10 pages before i had 50 champs, only two bought for RP, rest for IP. If you buy a 6k over a runepage you prioritize. On my smurf i got 10 runepages before i got any 6k champs, cause i hate to play a champ if I don't have the optimal runes.

Kcugi

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
It is possible to succed with 2-3 rune pages, but playing like this limits possible picks, as you doesn't have specific runes for unconventional champs like Karma.

Anyway, I wish to welcome u gladly on EUNE
It is always nice that the game progress, and continuation of IP price reduction program is a sign of it.
Altho, can I ask why Garen again? In last year, his price droped from 3150 to 450 now, while there is so much 6300 champs who really doesn't deserve that price, even if price have nothing to do with viability.
Champs like Karma, Zilean or Nidalee & even Pantheon should have their prices reduced, not to mention TF.

Leave the pride of demacia, give some love to others ;P

Banders2

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcugi View Post
Altho, can I ask why Garen again? In last year, his price droped from 3150 to 450 now
He is really easy to learn to play since he don't have any mana costs, and he is represented in battle training, so many new players will try him out there.
Saving for 3150 if you just started the game is a bit if you just figured put, that you liked to play Garen in the battle training.

Jerkling

05-09-2012

Wellcome!! <(^.^)>

It would be great to see more champion price reductions in the near future. There are too many old 6300 champions and it's a little hard to farm IP for casual players like me.