How to counter Zyra: List of counters.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EvilJulik

30-07-2012

Simple as that. Here are champions that crush her on mid lane and in team-fights.

1. Anivia

Why?

a) Superior range. Can safely kill plants with basic attacks without taking damage.
b) Better AoE damage and CC.
c) Better and safer farmer.
d) Q+R combo almost instantly kills off her plants in team-fights, removing a great chunk of Zyra's damage.
e) Egg>After death strike.
f) Can wall off Zyra from the team and from her plants.

2, Cassiopeia.

Why?

a) Better presence in team-fights.
b) Any poison landed on a plant, regardless of AP kills it in 1 second.
c) Better ult.
d) Will outfarm Zyra HARD.
e) Can spam better.
f) Tankier.

3. Xin Zhao.

Why?

a) A gap-closer with knock-up, with sustain, with ult to separate Zyra from the team (Zyra's plants serve as a great target for basic attack ult), nuff said, destroys Zyra.
b) Tanky.
c) Very high attack speed.

4. Mordekaiser (team-fights).

Why?

a) Kills your plants with 1 ability and Zyra gives him extra minions for extra AoE.
b) Ghost.
c) Benefits from sustain.
d) Tanky.

5. Shyvana.

Why?

a) Tanky as hell.
b) Knock-back.
c) AoE fest = Zyra's plants die as soon as they pop.
d) Benefits greatly from sustain.
e) Extremely mobile.

6. Yorick.

Why?

a) Tanky as hell.
b) Sustain.
c) Ghouls attack plants and deal damage to them.
d) Can destroy Zyra's burst with ultimate on the carry/bruiser.

7. Jax.

Why?

a) Gap closer with stun combo.
b) Extremely tanky.
c) Benefits greatly from sustain.

8. Nocturne.

Why?

a) Fear.
b) Spell-shield.
c) Tanky.
d) Sustain.
e) Ultimate removes plants vision and they don't attack.

9. Olaf.

Why?

a) Extremely tanky.
b) Huge range slow.
c) True damage.
d) The more you damage him, the stronger he gets.
e) Benefits from sustain.
f) CC immunity.

10. AP Kog'Maw.

Why?

a) Superior range.
b) W(11% HP with 500 AP) deals really good with Zyra, who will be most likely stacking HP via RoA and RCS.
c) Safe farmer.
d) Godly poke.
e) E+R instakills Zyra's plants.
f) More damage via passive.

11. Galio.

Why?

a) Stack MR.
b) Kills plants with 1 ability.
c) Can heal up from the plants, while not taking of so much damage.
d) Flash + Ult, nuff said.

Items good vs a team with Zyra:

1. Sunfire Cape.

Why?

Free AoE damage with good range, enough to kill Zyra's plants before they become Enraged from ulti, thus removing a huge chunk of her damage.

2. GA.

Why?

Zyra depends on those 10 seconds while her plants are alive to do any killing damage, considering that in team-fights plants usually don't survive more than 3 seconds, getting GA and finishing her off after the plant and ulti burst is a very good idea.

Good luck, have fun pwning Zyra.

DRMBIvanBG

30-07-2012

I doubt Galio will heal from her plants.... Correct me if I am wrong.

But I think zyra is pretty balance as it is. Yes the champions you listed are counters but I don't think they are any hard counters to her. A good Zyra can win lanes vs all of these, and her team fight presents is more than good.

I think the dmg on her plants should be slightly nerfed nothing else.

Celadrieth

30-07-2012

You forgot Ahri. Who is the best skill shot dodger in the game. Making Zyra pretty much useless fighting her. LeBlanc. Anything with hard CC and gapclosers counter her. Yorick counters everything tbh, Galio counters her. So most of your counters are wrong.

Gospodin Zelenko

30-07-2012

I just played nocturne against her and it does not counter her in any way possible when u get to her her plants kills ur shield and than u just get eaten before fear even goes off. Zyra is not some annoying champ she is the worst thing that came from riot so far by my opinion. Requires 0 skill and even when she dies she deals massive damage.

s4ndwitch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-07-2012

List of counters against Zyra:
1. Boots

And that's it. She's a pure skillshot champ. Dodging her spells is the only thing you need to do to counter her.

DRMBIvanBG

30-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairyshannon View Post
You forgot Ahri. Who is the best skill shot dodger in the game. Making Zyra pretty much useless fighting her. LeBlanc. Anything with hard CC and gapclosers counter her. Yorick counters everything tbh, Galio counters her. So most of your counters are wrong.
Ugh, I have to disagree about ahri, yeah she can dodge skills shots with her ult, but in lane Zyra can destroy ahri forcing her to use her ult to escape meaning, forcing her out of lane meaning Zyra wins lane.

Ahri's skills have a meduim range so she has to stay close and Zyra can just zone her out easy with her plants.

Also I don't think any mele champions will beat a decent Zyra. As soon as you get close to her and attack her plants will agro you. So a good Zyra will know when and where to place plants and she has that root so she can easily keep distance from mele champs.

EvilJulik

30-07-2012

Quote:
Ahri is very-very weak against any sort of CC that stuns her or just hold her in place, that is why such champs as Anivia and Morgana do well against her. Zyra is of the same category as they are, so she doesn't have any problems with Ahri, considering that the Fox will be building as a glass-cannon and Zyra as a more tanky mage early on.

Quote:
I doubt Galio will heal from her plants.... Correct me if I am wrong.
Galio does heal up from his W if a plant hits him. Basically, after getting about ~150-ish MR + Rank 5 W, plants do not damage him more than 100. usually around 70-ish.

Quote:
I just played nocturne against her and it does not counter her in any way possible when u get to her her plants kills ur shield and than u just get eaten before fear even goes off. Zyra is not some annoying champ she is the worst thing that came from riot so far by my opinion. Requires 0 skill and even when she dies she deals massive damage.
Of course Nocturne isn't a counter in 1v1, but in situation of a team fight when you have an initiator like Malphie, Zyra will most likely unleash her combo where more enemies are standing, so ulting on Zyra after 1-2 seconds of a team fights is a very good way to shut her down.

Have to disagree with you skill wise, I saw a lot of fail Zyras who couldn't abuse the fact that spells are delayed, landing a trap in the bush of seeds, and then forgetting that if she land E as an opener plants will be melee and won't do as much damage, just cause enemies will get away from them, nor did they managed their combos.

EvilJulik

30-07-2012

Quote:
You forgot Ahri. Who is the best skill shot dodger in the game. Making Zyra pretty much useless fighting her. LeBlanc. Anything with hard CC and gapclosers counter her. Yorick counters everything tbh, Galio counters her. So most of your counters are wrong?.

I did mention Galio and Yorick as a counter lol. Seems you haven't read till the end. As of LB. Lb is a good counter before Zyra dings level 3 and has all of her arsenal available, after that... Nah Lb always was, is and will be useless after 15mins.

EvilJulik

30-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMBIvanBG View Post
Also I don't think any mele champions will beat a decent Zyra. As soon as you get close to her and attack her plants will agro you. So a good Zyra will know when and where to place plants and she has that root so she can easily keep distance from mele champs.
Well, you're not expecting me to place a Xin Zhao on mid versus Zyra, now do you?

Melee champs with gap-closers and knock-ups destroy her in team fights, where she has to unleash her combos on multiple enemies, so I assure you that, for example, if Zyra is standing near a Wraith camp and the 5v5 fight broke out somewhere between the river and Wraiths, she will unleash her combos into the river and onto the first initiator (remember, plants prioritize the closest target to them or those who are auto attacked by Zyra, I doubt that she will be able to land a basic attack on the enemy carry), meaning that she won't be having any seeds for good 10 seconds, now Xin Zhao just jumps on her and destroys her, because she used all of her burst on the initiator.

eStroky

30-07-2012

Yeah ofc. And dont forget that 90% of the heros you listed dont have any CC and are not even AP.
Really cool to counter an AP MID CARRY with a TopLine Champ.

Dont forget to say, that Twitch and Eve counters her. They can go invi and Zyra cant.
Dont forget to say, that Blitz counters her. He can look like a car, Zyra cant.
And DONT forget to say, that Trundle counters her. He can rise mountains, Zyra cant.

Really good reasons why Zyra is countered by any champ!