Thornmail is a big joke.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redmark

08-07-2012

I just lost a game with varus, my build was 3 Phantom dancers, 2 Bloodthirsters and Infinity edge.

And why did i lost? Thornmail, an enemy garen disconnected and i started attacking him. After his health reached 50% i died. I checked out the death recap and Thornmail had dealt 2900 DAMAGE.
Thornmail is highly imbalanced item since it renders nearly every AD carry useless.
If you throw a full tank team against well organized team with junglers, AP mid, solo top, AD carry and a support, the full tank team wins solely because of the thornmail which makes the AD carry completely useless. Its like taking off one player from the opposing team.

Could riot remake it or at least nerf it a bit? Its stupid that a Garen who doesnt take damage from any other source than physical can just stand there and get a kill.

Even the lifesteal from the BT:s didnt help at all. 100% crit chance made me lifesteal about 250 each hit but still i died in under 7 seconds to garen who just stood still...

( ok maybe we lost as well because we had 3/27 Nasus but thats a whole different story )

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garen_0 copy.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	58113  

Hombr33

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2012

yep something like this happened to me too... I was playing with mordekaiser and my team had a decent score, but enemy team was leading the match (we had only nexus-turrets intact) and i thought to sell out my boots and buy thornmail. Then they focused me in teamfights [Morde with 35% HP(with Thornmail VS SION 100% HP(full build both)-----> Morde wins in 5 secs JUST BECAUSE THAT THORNMAIL. Finally we scored an ACE and defeated them ---> one item MAKES THE DIFFERENCE between WIN AND LOSS

P.S. btw NICE PICTURE... made me laugh so hard

ZFSB Nexia

08-07-2012

Your build is nothing more then a true glass cannon build. If enemy team got thornmail make sure you use last whisperer also or frozen mallet. I cant imagine carry without last whisperer. I usually on Varus build Berserk Boots, Infinity, BT , Phantom, LW and guardian angel. Still there is no good counter to thorn except lw and health.

Captain Teemo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2012

It's not op, it's your build. Pure glasscannon, no survivability. Last Whisper is good item to counter thornmails.

dauqS

08-07-2012

Threads that start with "I just lost a game with ..." do not belong in this section.

Hombr33

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauqS View Post
Threads that start with "I just lost a game with ..." do not belong in this section.
You sir ARE REALLY RIGHT... but his story is so freakin funny

Ñielu2lehdus

08-07-2012

Yes. That's the thing with Thornmail. It returns damage before the reductions are calculated. So you need to be able to penetrate some armor to not get beaten by that magic damage. In addition to getting health, lifesteal and armor penetration, magic resist helps too of course.

HeavyBadas

08-07-2012

ok a few things to sum up
1. you atked a player you knew who crashed which makes you a ****** in my opinion
2. thornmail was made to counter a build like yours you can't complain about that or everyone would be doing what you we're doing since they weren't punished for it
3. thornmail is a perfectly fine item, one of the lesser good items imo because you need a taunt before it's useful, it makes the enemy team think twice before attacking you, and putting it on a tank makes him like that person no one wants to talk to or be friends with (in this context not wanting to attack the thornmail tank)
4. you did absolutely nothing to counter his thornmail, someone already suggested last whisper but against one person this is not enough and is more useful when 3 or more has more than a certain amount of armor on the other team, the key is magic resistance; the damage returned from thornmail is magical damage.

Maryte

08-07-2012

How i hate noobs, who doesnt know how to play and counter enemy champs, and buids...
You lose becouse your team have an idiot in team. I think it was ad carry. Gl next time.

GutsButNuts

08-07-2012

How this works:
- Thornmail reflected damage is 30% of nominal, before target resistances apply.
- This reflected damage is mitigated by your own MR
- This reflected damage is increased by your targets Magic Pen/Reduction.
- Lifesteal is based on damage after resistances

So, you have
- no Armour reduction or Penetration to increase your actual damage and life steal
- no added Magic Resistance

So, next time get a Black Cleaver, Last Whisper, Maw of Malthingy, Wit's End etc. Or even your own Thornmail...