Is it even possible to beat a tanky dps team lategame?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

shortname

09-04-2012

I just feel that this tanky dps stuff is getting out of control. Most of the times, if the top feeds, then the game is almost already over.
So in my last game they had morde, skarner, and singed. They were building to be tanky, of course, there is no problem with this. We had a leaver, but still we could pull off some good actions, but when the lategame arrived... I just wanna ask one thing, but let's see the details:

Viktor's ultimate is one of the strongest in lol, but it's a little delayed, but if you can keep the enemy in the cloud, it totally deals 430 / 670 / 910 (+2.3 per ability power).
I had about 600 ap. With 600 ap my ulti's damage is 2290.
I had void staff, mpen marks, and the 10% mpen mastery.
So the question is:
Why can i not see any effect on a tanky dps champion late game, when i cast my ulti on them? It chunks like only their 1/10 health, while they can kill you in some hits (yep, i'm building defensive items, i had rylai, and banshee in that match for health, and to avoid morde, and singed).
I just don't understand this, most of the tanky champions have big advantages with epic gap closers and/or hard CCs, while they deal insane damage. There is some problem with the defensive items, looks like they scale too well into lategame, much better than the ap items...

bl00rg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-04-2012

yes it kinda sucks, you cant really nuke such teams, which kinda renders the nuke ap based champs useless, what can beat them though is good positioning and farmed ad carry, also having 2-3 full tanks + ad carry + ap carry, beats the tanky dps comp, of course you need good cc to protect the carry.
From ap carries you should pick some poke based ones against such teams, for example ziggs, xerath, ahri, ryze - they have quite low cooldowns on poke spells allowing you to deal damage whole teamfight, not just burst. It's all a matter of team comp and positioning.

Skeezo

09-04-2012

it is annoying, but
kite/poke > owns tanky dps

revche

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

As xervensa said,i think poking is the best option..And for it to work very well,just trying to catch them off guard and hoping that they will make a mistake is the best thing that could help you beat them.

Its usually easier to try and finish the game before it reaches late game.
for ex:i have so much trouble vs late game vayne it self.

Garelia

09-04-2012

Void staff
Last Whisper
gg

mOBSCENE

09-04-2012

deathfire grasp, madreds bloodrazor, last whisper, void staff

shortname

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garelia View Post
Void staff
Last Whisper
gg
"I had void staff, mpen marks, and the 10% mpen mastery."
Try to read the full text pls.

Also thank you for the kind answers and advices, and yes, late game vayne is a trouble but still, you need more skill with her to position yourself, etc.. than with and off-tank, even if you are insanely fed.

Limelightt

09-04-2012

The only thing that scares me really bad is Garen.. I just can't kill that guy no matter how hard i try..

And he gets kills EVERY SINGLE GAME god **** it... ~_~!

Aratocan

09-04-2012

i remember a game i played as vayne.i was fed and the enemy team had a morde and jax.when a tf started those two always ignored everyone else on my team where passing through them and hunting me down.my tanks didnt bother to help me (volibear and mundo) and i was always dying without being able to do some damage but running to avoid them.i had qss but still i could be 2shotted.
what i am trying to say is that an ad carry needs someone to babysit her to be any useful whether it be support in laning phase or tanks in tf's compared to those off tanks who get fed and destroy everything on their own

BoZaiDeN

09-04-2012

well this is a team game , and thats why i usually hate entering blind pick without having 1 tank in team at least , cuz if u had in the enemy team 2 dps tanky champs like garen+ shyvana. you have a real problem late game , but the general idea is to cooperate with yoru team to surround one of them at a time , using some 1 as a bait and usually a dps tank is always greed to take the squishy alone , it's a team game after all use team cooperation , but for the most i see ppl fear doing such a manipulation and tactics in game