Can Maokai be viable support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nomax

22-02-2012

So, I was in a normal game, picked myself a jungle Mao when 15 secs before game start afk guy locks Lee and forces he will jungle so I was left with locked Mao and no lane to play in.
I changed my runes/masteries and went bot with Sivir.
Well I don't know if it was just noob opposition but Mao as support worked amazingly well that game.
I was able to soak up all the dmg and protect Sivir from ganks, but the funniest thing was with Mao I was able to make enemy harras work against them 'coze every time they tried to exchange they would help me heal thanks to passive and still not get to my carry that had fun time being safe and able to return fire or keep farming.
But that's not all, saplings worked great as harras and ward tool and any time our jungler came and managed to not walk into a ward was almost 100% kill thanks to twisted advance and arcane smash.
So what do you guys with a bit more elo and experience think about it? I like Mao coze of so many roles he can play and if this could be another for him that would be really amazing.

s4ndwitch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

22-02-2012

Maokai isn't very item-dependent and his utility is definitely useful. I would say he is a viable support, in theory.

Nomax

22-02-2012

Yep and I was surprised how much you can protect your carry from ganks or in lane fight using w,q combo and a lot of dmg from those early game helped us win every exchange. Also enemy support was forced to heal his carry far away from us coze whenever near, he would in a way heal me also thanks to Maos passive...

s4ndwitch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

22-02-2012

I will give support Maokai a try sometime this week. Nunu or Leona work just fine as supports and Maokai is pretty similar to them (almost as much CC as Leona and almost as good sustain as Nunu, plus additional utility like free wards). Sounds fun.

SharorTheVile

22-02-2012

Seen mao support once, worked very well

I think his downside is that he leaves his carry completely on his own, his cc isn't hard (ie stun) or inrease their effectiveness directly (Nunu W) so the carry takes more damage than he would with a given other pick.

There's also the problem of lowcarry health (due to levels) and his ulti giving reduced damage. (Edit: Need to clarify here - flat reductions (mr/armor) benefit high health more. Since carries normally level slow, they dont get the added health bonus that soloes will. Means his ulti is reduced in effectiveness compared to elsewhere on the map. It's a little thing, but it matters)

So you have a probably viable support, who is better used elsewhere

Masqerade

22-02-2012

Hell even cho support works.
As long as the champ ain't item dependant, they work well as a aggresive support ( if they got a ranged ability or CC)
So yea, he is a good aggresive support.

Arthurion

22-02-2012

I think he works better bot if he lanes with another bursty stunner.

BeetGrater

22-02-2012

He might have good zoning potential vs a non sustain lane if he's paired with another poker. I could imagine cait mao works good.

KawaiiMaidoHisui

22-02-2012

Yes, he can be. Compared to other non-traditional supports like Yorick, Maokai can save his lane partner with a root,his Q or his Ulti. You need to be careful when you're harassing with the sapling though. Bad positioned saplings will push your lane and ruin your partner's last hitting.