Before you ruin someone's game with Galio...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zlik0

31-01-2012

...read these tips from a regular Galio player. In no particular order:

• Galio is a counter pick. He's not a carry, he's a tank. You should pick him to counter tricky ap mids and tops like Cassio, Rumble, Singed or Kennen.
  • Remember that your ult can be easily disrupted with hard CC, especially with on-hit CC. Hard counters to Galio include Xin, Blitzcrank and Udyr.
  • For maximum effect I strongly recommend a full flat magic resist page just for Galio. If you start with null-magic mantle you'll have around 100 MR and 50 AP which is enough to make any enemy ap carry cry.
  • I also recommend going 21/0/9, not 0/21/9. You are already tanky with your items, you do not benefit from the defense tree as much as from standard ap carry masteries.
  • Flash and teleport are must have. Flash is for initating with the ult and teleport is for ganks that will ruin your opponents day.
  • Your shield ability gives you additional armor and mr so use it on yourself when you initiate, otherwise save it for the carry or someone in trouble.
  • The shield heals you when you get hit. The trick is aggroing enemy minions with an autoattack on the enemy (spells won't work) and then casting the shield. You'll heal more than the minions deal damage.
  • Chalice is sometimes a good 1st buy, but sometimes it isn't. If you don't need to spam in the laning phase you can skip it in favour of Catalyst.
  • Thornmail, is not a good item on Galio. Sure you taunt and do extra damage that way but Frozen Heart is better. You'll get more mana for spells, and you'll taunt more often with the CDR. While the Frozen Heart reduces the enemy attack speed, directly influencing the bonus ult damage, you still should not have trouble hitting the cap if you ulti multiple enemies anyway.
  • A general build for Galio would be: RoA, Deathcap, Banshees, Frozen Heart, Abysall Scepter and Mercs/Ionian boots. You'll be tanky as hell and you'll deal massive damage.
  • During the laning phase try hitting the enemy and minions at the same time with your Q. Also don't forget you can auto-attack farm - don't limit yourself to spells, you're not Karthus.
  • The gust ability is directional. That means you and your allies travel faster in the direction you cast it, not the other way around. You should use it to escape or chase, not to damage the enemy that chases you.
  • First 6 levels you should rank your skills like this: Q,W,Q,E,Q,R. After that you max R>Q>W>E.
  • Don't play ranked with free to play heroes. Just don't...

This short compilation of tips is made with the best intentions. Please feel free to add/comment.

CroLeague

31-01-2012

I agree with everything,except that I always like to go 21/9(and thats like ALWAYS,on everybody but pure tanks) and having a rune page only MR just for Galio is a bit too extreme

Zekic Thunion

31-01-2012

hey wanna hear your toughts about rushing Abysall i mean it improves your dmg alot just becouse all 3 stats of it give your dmg

Microwawe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

31-01-2012

This should be done every week for all the 10 free champions!

Zlik0

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekic Thunion View Post
hey wanna hear your toughts about rushing Abysall i mean it improves your dmg alot just becouse all 3 stats of it give your dmg
Abyssal does indeed give the most damage (except Rabadons ofc), but the problem with it is that it doesn't give you mana and Galio is really mana hungry until his first Catalyst. You could go Catalyst into Abyssal to mitigate but rushing Catalyst into Banshees (or Roa) is better vs people who know how to interrupt Galio ult. I usually go Catalyst #1 -> Roa -> Catalyst #2 -> Banshees -> Glacial Shroud. The reasoning for this is that you need mana early game and you can afford RoA first over Banshees if you pick targets and/or timing for your ultimate. But by the time teamfights start you must have Banshees. Also by that time you need some armor for general tanking so I finish GS next. By the time you have that core your opponents will become fatter trough level ups and items so you might want to consider something for more damage. Rabadons Deathcap is perfect because it doesn't only multiply the ap from items but ap from your passive as well. So when is the right time for Abysal?

On paper it is a perfect item for Galio, but since Galio follows a strict build route due to normal game flow, it turns out that Abyssal is more of a finishing luxury item than something you want to rush into. It gives you that extra oomph in damage and mr reduction which is needed once the opponents have their full builds with hp and resistances.

On another note, in theory one could go into Tear of the Goddess first. You do get a lot of mana from Banshees, Frozen Heart and Roa. It could be more cost effective to simply build Archangels as last item for that extra AP. However this is pure speculation as I haven't tested that out yet and I haven't theorycrafted either. In essence, a common Ryze build could in theory work for Galio as well.

Starn

01-02-2012

I play Galio a lot, and I tend to find that early game Q, W, Q, W, E, R works well. Get E a little earlier if you want the speed boost but rank 2 shield I find gives bettter survivability against ganks and if you can aim your Q you won't need the speed. Itemwise I like to start with meki + 2 hp pots, then get chalice, merc treads, aegis, frozen heart, abyssal sceptre as a core build, relying more on flat resistances than HP, and get a HP item of your choice in the last slot. Wth that you end up with about 200 armour and MRes without the shield and around 2.5k HP without the last HP item.

Runes I have MPen Marks, MRegen/5/level Seals, MRes Glyphs and flat AP Quints, and I REALLY could do with updating them. Masteries I run 9/21/0.

And yeah, teleport flash is probably the best combo.

Smayck

01-02-2012

Zlikowsky what about Shurelia?

I do not play Galio at all, but I wanted to try him out (vs bots first of course) and biggest problem for me were the cooldowns. I basically used your build even before you wrote it , but with one major difference

1) I did not even think about Rabadon, not tank item, too expensive to rush, most games should be over anyway when I finish tanky part
2) Frozen Hearth + Shurelia give me 40% CDR and Shurelia active gives me nice way to initiate, catch up, run away on top of W

Basically I try to use something like this:

http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Galio...00000&level=18

Eiriu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2012

Have always been starting with meki->tear->archangel
Won every lane and sometimes even had the luxury of taking sorc shoes over mercs
then i rush abyshal thornmail and deathcap
last item is depending on the needs but most often will be aegis
this build costs about 12k and is cot effective since it manages early mana issues{saying that jungler is a retard and doesn't give u the 2nd blue}
also i tend to take clarity{yes clarity} it ensures that the enemy mid WILL cry He will have bought boots vs u ofc so a nice 60% of q will miss and a nice 30% of e.This means that u are out of mana before he goes at 20% hp for flash ult q combo
agree on the other things with u though

CDfire

01-02-2012

I do agree with most of these things, but items.

Mercs
Chalice - Wota later
Aegis
Banshes
Zohynas
Warmog

Faff

01-02-2012

"During the laning phase try hitting the enemy and minions at the same time with your Q. Also don't forget you can auto-attack farm - don't limit yourself to spells, you're not Karthus."

GOLDEN +1.