Support runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solotop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-11-2011

Hello, today I'm gonna buy my 4th runepage and that'll be an "all around supporter"-runepage, viable for Janna, Taric, Sona, Soraka, Alistar, Leona and so on... just an all around page for supports. And I'm not sure about the runes, other than Gold per 5/quints, which I consider to be a must. What marks/seals/glyphs would you recommend?

I myself am a very inexperienced support player, so all help and opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

HeVi Storm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-11-2011

As a support player, I actually think that it's really a matter of personal preference more than anything else. You're best off playing supports yourself and finding out what works for you specifically. Nonetheless, here's how I roll when playing support (mostly Sona, but I can roll with anything really):

Quints: Gold per 10, self explanatory.
Seals: Manaregen per level, flat Armor works too and quite a few seem to use them, but I prefer manaregen because it allows for more sustain and more actual support for your carry early game and later on to your entire team. Also, vastly superior to flat manaregen.
Glyphs: Flat CDR. Expensive as fsck and aren't that great on some champions, but 5.89% extra CDR is something very few say no to. Flat magic resistance always works too, or per level magic resistance. AP glyphs, both flat and per level, are also something I see often. Again, find out what works for you and roll with that.
Marks: Magic Penetration. I hear flat armor is popular and I'd certainly recommend it, but I like to spice my supporting up a little with some penetration to have some early game harass funzies.

Solotop

19-11-2011

Thank you very much HeVi for your advice.

I did a lot of other research too, and well, played a lot. I came to the conclusion that flat armor marks and seals, and magic resist/level glyphs suit my more aggressive early game playstyle the best (Taric and Janna being my favorite [support] chars) - especially if the enemies want to play aggressively, I feel like these runes can turn the tide for our favor.

The downside of course is that these runes are far from the optimal setups for more passive and mana hungry chars like Sona, Alistar and Soraka.

By the way, does anyone remember that has the Bloodstone Taric-skin been for sale in the past couple of months? I was thinking of buying that skin, but if it might come for sale in the near future I can just wait.

PH34RST3R

19-11-2011

i prefere static mp5 runes instead of levelup tbh :> flat gives more mana reg before lv 7-8(can't remember which one it was) and imo it's where you need mana reg teh most >_<' personal taste though.

i also run full ap blues and quints. not sure on the quint vs gp5 (don't have them) though but i like the exstra boost in heals. i play taric as my main support and i usually max shield first so my heals suffer from that :> never tried cd reduction blues but seems like a valid choice too :3 not taking Mres blues leaves you with very low MR so make sure to include some in your item build though >_<'

no comments on reds, i only got magic/armor pentration runes so can't really give any insight in that >_<'

skinandbonesx

19-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH34RST3R View Post
i prefere static mp5 runes instead of levelup tbh :> flat gives more mana reg before lv 7-8(can't remember which one it was) and imo it's where you need mana reg teh most >_<' personal taste though.

i also run full ap blues and quints. not sure on the quint vs gp5 (don't have them) though but i like the exstra boost in heals. i play taric as my main support and i usually max shield first so my heals suffer from that :> never tried cd reduction blues but seems like a valid choice too :3 not taking Mres blues leaves you with very low MR so make sure to include some in your item build though >_<'

no comments on reds, i only got magic/armor pentration runes so can't really give any insight in that >_<'
This is exactly how I build my supports, inculding MP reds, except I run flat CDR blues.

BeetGrater

19-11-2011

I just use my offensive ap runes for any support to maximize both my utility and early harrass as I tend to avoid taking damage. My main supports are Taric, Janna and Alistar.

Flat ap quints and mpen reds make my great early damage and this is something I very often surprise my enemies with as they often aren't used to sudden aggression and burst damage from supports.

Ap/lvl and manaregen/lvl are aimed for providing me with sustain and ap for midgame which I'd otherwise be lacking as I build three goldregen items and use most of my gold for wards, and oracle if pink wards aren't enough. I generally prefer stat/lvl because they are almost as good as flats at 6 and mostly surpass them way before 10.

Flat manaregen runes could be good, but they don't suit my playstyle because I just conserve mana and play passive early if there is no opening. If the carry is bad and takes heavy harrass constantly, it will be a problem for me though.

I don't think cdr runes are good at all, atleast for my supports. If you spam early, you'll be oom. It's much better to use your abilities when there's an opening or when a jungler comes to gank. Besides, I get 10% cdr from masteries from the beginning and 30% from items until midgame, which brings me to cap cdr already. I feel that cdr is only needed after the laning phase ends.

For passive, sustained laning, I'd recommend flat manaregen and goldregen though. Maybe cdr too if you're gonna camp a brush just throwing out heals. I just think that kind of playstyle is boring and a bit useless, but sometimes it's good to turtle up if you're babysitting a lategame carry against an aggressive lane.

Obviously Jebus

19-11-2011

Apart from all the blues, yellows and quitts that you all mentioned, I also like to have flat AD reds, to make my auto attacks hurt more. I think it's good because most supports don't do a lot of spell damage to justify magic pen and I just don't have armor reds.
I guess this is more useful to ranged supports

aD ChrisR

19-11-2011

I play supports as :

Red ability power flat

Yellow mana/5sec flat

Blue CD reduse flat

Quint Ability power flat

i buy all 3 items with gold per sec and i have the masteries 2 gold/10 sec

thats why i believe i need the ability power from red + quint else the heals/shield will be ULTRA low

also forgot to say : i play 3/6/21 masteries i put 6 masteries on def to armor and mr .... and i put 3/4 at ability power offenc

Paah

19-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by verikukko View Post
"all around supporter"-runepage, viable for leona
σ_σ

>leonaistanknotsupport

MoogV

Recruiter

19-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paah View Post
σ_σ

>leonaistanknotsupport
actually she's more of an aggressive support than tank in the current meta

you can't use her to jungle or to solo top as a tank and she's quite a good offensive CC support, so her only role is support atm in serious games