How to counter JAX !

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cristims

12-10-2011

Again I must make a how to post in the hope that eventually people start smarting up to some heroes and I will eventually get better teammates.

So, recently the nerfed-then-buffed-back Jax roams in Dominion ruining the fun of all.

The guy has a great nuke - gap closer, nice innate that gives him more hp for each ap/ad bonus item he buys, and a great dodge-based stun.

Things to know about JAX:

JAX IS FAT!
Usually it gets fat because of his innate. He can gain as much as 1000hp from his damage items without getting one hp item. But usually they get some hp items, and is even more fat!

Do not solo him without a lot of hp, even if your damage is bigger than his. Do not get overconfident when you see his hp bar low, it may have more hp that you may think.

JAX HAS A HUGE DODGE CHANCE!
A normal Jax build includes dodge runes (almost 12%) and ninja tabi (for another 12% dodge). But that is not all! His 3'rd ability (Counter Strike) adds another 10-18% dodge. So with a total of 34-42% dodge he can actually dodge 1/3 to 1/2 of the enemy autohits.

I have seen an Yi melted from full ap by a jax with 1/4 hp left, regardless if yi got ulti on and a lot of damage. The damage is useless if you cannot hit him!

But there is a solution to this dodge problem!
You can use a caster, he cannot dodge ap, but he can use his ulti that gives him a lot of magic resist (50 +1 for each 1% of dodge... so is about 90 magic resist, that is 25% more than a Force of Nature! ... so get some magic penetration as a caster
But if you are a dps then YOU MUST BUY Sword of the Divine AND USE HIS ACTIVE!!

Yes people you can melt a jax too... just by using this item your damage will ignore his dodge and for 4 seconds he is vulnerable, and usually means dead!

So again... BUY SWORD OF THE DIVINE!! and use his active!!!

JAX CAN STUN ALL!
After he is hit couple of times, his dodge will enable his Counter Strike ability and he can stun all around at a press of a button.
Each 4,5 seconds after he dodges an attack he can stun again!
... and again...
.. and...

Solution? Use the SWORD OF THE DIVINE and melt him without allowing him to dodge 1 hit, or stun him back!
Yes, any hard cc can make Jax stun useless. As he is stunned he can take damage and he cannot stun back.
Also, you can use QSS (Quicksilver Sash) another magic item, than on activation removes the stun and you can deal damage to jax or escape when needed.

4. HE IS A HYBRID!
That means that he deals both ap damage and ad damage! Most Jax builds use Sheen/Lichbane and a lot of ap.

You better be prepared. Only armor is not enough! Only magic resist is not enough! Use them all or .. get fat! Get some HP on your bones so you can resist longer.
I find that his most damage comes from his AP! So if you are short on cash, get magic resist first and more than armor... but do not ignore armor either!

5. HE STEALS LIFE!
Using Hextech Gunblade he is capable of stealing massive amounts of HP from both his ad damage and his ap nuke/s.

Use Ignite! That will temper his lifesteal a little. Also when he is low and you have a little more hp... stay away. 1 more leap and his hp is getting bigger.... and you are in trouble.

6. HE IS A GOOD NUKER AND A GOOD DPS!
He can deal a ton of damage with sheen/lichbane using his "Empower" and jumping on you with his "leap"... but he can also sustain his damage by autoattacking you using his ultimate's passive that enables him to autoattack faster and faster with each hit!

Therefore... DO NOT SOLO JAX WITH A PATHETIC CHAMPION!
Do not solo jax EVER if you cannot absorb a lot of damage!
Do not solo jax with any squishy!
Do not solo jax with low or even equal hp if you have abilities in cooldown!
Do not solo jax if your ultimate is in cooldown, if that ultimate can deal damage or stun him!
Do not solo jax with a dps without a Sword of the Divine!
Do not solo jax !!!!
or chase

Now. I have seen some incredible things recently.
On one occasion 4 champions jump on a goodlike Jax. That was a massacre.
Gragas trows the barrel while jax jumps to him, barrel miss.
Then he bodyslams in jungle away from jax because his hp melted.
Yi enters, got 2 hits on jax, jax dodges and stuns them all, the finish Yi first.
A low hp Lee Sin jumps from the jungle hits Jax, gets stunned, dies.
Then comes Warwick.. He uses his Q, then started the auttoatack with W. Got stun. Then jax started to melt him.
Warwick "saved" his ultimate, until he got so low that he decided to ulti jax... he died soon after.
By this time Gragas comes back, uses his ulti, gets Jax to 5%hp then jax jumps on him, and start melting him. One stun later... Gragas is dead.

This is NOT AN INVENTED STORY! I seen this with Malzahar, while trying to rush there and ulti jax.

The conclusion?
USE ULTI ON JAX!
KILL HIM FAST!
DISABLE HIM!
BUY SWORD OF THE DIVINE! USE IT!
FOCUS JAX WITH MORE THAN 1 CHAMP!
DO NOT SOLO JAX IF YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF IT!

Disclaimer.
As always those than know how to counter jax are welcome to post more tips.
Those that die from Jax on a regular basis must try to learn to counter... and get that sword!
He is one of the top enemy damage dealers, focus and kill, even if you waste 1-2 ulties on him. Do not hold back!

And yes, maybe Riot staff reads this: Jax IS TOO GOOD! Tone him down!
Is not about me... is about the rest 75% of the summoners that actually have a hard time using an item for just 1 champion even if IS NECESSARY! They eventually start to feed him, and is quite annoying to heal "An enemy is godlike" each 3 minutes when an enemy Jax is on the other side of the map.

I will eventually have to write one about Akali too... eventually...

Zizzi

12-10-2011

sounds op nerf plz
+1 but i accidentely pressed . -1

Fate Cookies

12-10-2011

Sword of the Divine - Bye bye Jax? It also means his stun doesn't work because he can't dodge you. Having your AD carry take this is guaranteed win.

He's a lategame beast just like every other carry, but unlike others, you can itemise against his dodge, not just thornmail. Not to mention, you can counter pick an AP carry to help focus.

Eujin

12-10-2011

**** that was painful to read.

Also, Jax is hard countered by CC and AD casters such as Renekton and Pantheon. The key to fighting him is to never sit right there, just get a few hits in and take your distance and he can't keep his ulti's passive and Guinsoo up.

ZikaNS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2011

w0w u really hate jax xD

Hipijs

12-10-2011

Here's my very detailed guide on how to counter Jax. Please read carefuly.

1. Ban Jax

Kapuchu1

12-10-2011

how to counter jax: buy that non-dodge item. as an AD champ. Otherwise, it's difficult.

Sp00nman

12-10-2011

Sword of the Divine....

Samga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2011

hmm youre saying he can stun every 4,5 seconds? so him stunning me three times in a row in a total of like 5 or 6 seconds while i was just running was a bug then ?

Solotop

12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samga View Post
hmm youre saying he can stun every 4,5 seconds? so him stunning me three times in a row in a total of like 5 or 6 seconds while i was just running was a bug then ?
1. You are over-exaggerating
2. He might have had CDR runes/masteries/items. But like I said, you are still surely over-exaggerating.