How to land Skillshot?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tweely

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2011

i enjoy playing lux and ezreal, but, i have real issue to land skillshot, when enemy are like "uder" my monitor.
i mean, in 5v5 there are 2 sides:
one side (from down to up) is easy play for me, no problem at all, i have great vision of enemy player
but, when i play from up to down,there is a blind spot. i have real trouble to land skillshot, like light Binding, when i dont see my target.
how do you deal with it?

ThaSeVrw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-10-2011

Are you playing with locked camera?If yes unlock it :P
The best thing to do is to practice smartcasting.Smartcasting is casting spells directly on your mouse cursor without targeting (like Karthus's Q).You can do this by holding down Shift and casting your spell.If you spell is targeted, it will hit the target your mouse is upon.If it is a skillshot it will target the location you r mouse is upon.By doing this you will improve your movement prediction and it will be much easier for you to land skillshots once you get used to it.

MoogV

Recruiter

05-10-2011

in theory the matchmaking systems takes the "blue/purple side-unfairness" into consideration which means, that if you start top/bot you will most likely face slightly weaker/stronger opponents to balance out the vision-disadvantage

Tweely

06-10-2011

Quote:
in theory the matchmaking systems takes the "blue/purple side-unfairness" into consideration which means, that if you start top/bot you will most likely face slightly weaker/stronger opponents to balance out the vision-disadvantage
thats interesting fact... didnt know that
can i somehow find it out before the game start? (i usualy dont want play lux from top, but i rather play jungler from top because of better cover, and i also have better vision for ganks)

Quote:
unlock it :P
i used to play WoW, so im "lost" when i dont see my champion.
can i somehow move the map further? (in WoW, there were command for that)
and about Smartcasting.... well, i didnt like it because i dont know the exact range of the spell (it might be IMO crucial, like in lux´s Laser case)

anyway, thx for answers

MightyMikeDK

06-10-2011

Basically you should get used to not having screen locked on to your character. It may not seem like a nuisance now, but it will really harm your gamplay in the long run. It cuts off any kind of map awareness and reduces vision range below what would be optimal for many champions. While it may seem like an easy way to keep track of where your champion is (and you should use spacebar for that), it's an equally easy way to lose a lot of important info - in the end, it's not a worthwhile investment.
Also, there is the smartcasting. It's not always optimal to use, but it's worth knowing when and when not to do it. It will help you land a bunch of vital skillshots and increase your accuracy and ability to lead targets.

It may seem like a hassle to get used to these things, but thats what learning is about - and in the end, you'll see the payoff. There is no easy way to improve on these things.

Lepotec

Recruiter

06-10-2011

When your camera is unlocked you can press your spacebar to center the view on your champion. And if you keep the spacebar pressed it will be like your camera is locked. Then when you release the spacebar your camera is unlocked again.

andy5538

10-10-2011

i am lvl 30 and have 200 wins, not in one matched i left the camera unlocked.
problem?

Miro Zagorsky

18-10-2011

Landing good skillshots comes with practice. That`s why they are called "skill" shots.

You simply need to play over and over, watch how your enemies evade your skillshots and compensate. This is called "leading". For example, if you see an enemy moving in a predictable pattern (zig-zag or one-direction) you can, with some skill, land the skillshot in the same way as you would hit a moving target. And believe me, it`s very hard to move in an unpredictable pattern.

Also, consider the enemy`s escape alternatives: for example, if your enemy is pinned to the wall, he can go one way, so you should fire your skill shot not at him, but slightly away from him in the direction you believe he is going to run.

Moreover, if you skillshot is AoE (like brand`s fire cone - dunno the skill name), you will find that enemies, more often than not, will try to escape by going away from you, so cast it slightly behind them.

Then again, landing skillshots is tricky because it`s a game of wits against your opponent. Whoever gets to trick the other decides whether a skillshot lands or misses.

Edit: if you are still having trouble landing skillshots, going to point-blank range can fix your problem up real nice. Just saying.

Buritan

20-10-2011

PLay
Use
Learn
Simple
(actually)

Paah

21-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoogV View Post
Just a correction, matchmaking does indeed take blue/purple side into consideration when balancing teams but it is not because of the vision advantages. It's about dragon/baron positions. And the handicap is like ~12 ELO.