Speeding up the loading screen

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baseru

Member

17-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by seercirra View Post
a good graphics card will speed it up the most, supposing your computer isnt horribly bottlenecked somewhere. i have a pretty average pc (e7300 2.66ghz) but because i have a decent card gtx460, im almost always first to load. and that card is only 'decent', not hight end. its just that most lol players are casual so dont have even what most gamers would call 'decent'.
That is just stupid what u said. I have the same video card, I can play allmost any game at full graphics or at least medium because of it, but my in loading screen I am behind 50% of others,,, I have 4GB ram so its not the ram, cuz a friend of mine has 2GB and loads faster. Why he loads faster? Cuz I have a weak dual core... 2.0Ghz


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enai Siaion

Senior Member

17-07-2011

Why did I get downvoted for stating which system specs make me load fast?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Naravia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

17-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by devroz View Post
This would do the trick.

And I downvoted you while trying to quote sorry
I downvoted you while trying to make a sandwich

Sorry


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

benetti32

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

17-07-2011

Usually HDD is far most important when loading game, then size of RAM (if you don't have enough, it makes loading much longer because it load from HDD and then write to virtual memory). CPU can make some difference, but very little and speed of RAM is really not important because it's always many times faster than HDD, same with GPU (only if you don't have enough memory).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enai Siaion View Post
Why did I get downvoted for stating which system specs make me load fast?
I think because you said i7 860 and Radeon HD 5870 is not unusual HW , 95% of people has worse computer.

BTW I have 2 years old PC (even 2 years ago it wasn't top), and I'm always 1st or 2nd when loading game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lukus001

Senior Member

17-07-2011

CPU will actually play a smaller part in the loading stages than you might think if it's coded properly, since most of the loading stage should be about dumping 'files to memory' which isnt a CPU task.

Which comes down to a couple of things. Hard drives. Speed of transfer is never faster than the slowest component. Modern hard drives are not really an issue (though through Raid, SSD or RAMdisks you can speed things up super fast)

Memory plays a factor, especial if you dont have enough (more so than the speed of the ram). This is because windows will use the hard drive as a "scratch disk" if RAM is full, so again, back to point 1 you go at the speed of the slowest component and that is the hard disk if you force you application to start runing off of it.

graphic cards can speed things up because of the processes it can offload onto itself, which is in turn is more specialized in doing in the first place allowing the cpu to process other code and the localized memory that frees up system ram is always helpful..

If you say what your current hardware is, would be the better way of suggesting what is likely to speed your system up for you


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oiml

Member

17-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nague View Post
i have my LoL on a SSD and i have yet to see someone load faster than me
I put LoL on my SSD too, but it really didn't feel like it was loading faster. Maybe I'm gonna take the time next time and compare. But really, if LoL loads slow, upgrade everything.
Benchmarking right now, will post Results as i get them.
LoL on SSD first load of the day: 17 secs.
LoL on SSD second load: 16 secs (thought this would have a larger impact oO)
LoL on HDD: 20 secs.

So 25 percent speedup with a SSD, a lot better than I expected.

SSD used: Intel X25-V
HDD used: WD Caviar Black

(Core i5 2500, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 570, etc)

Ok, put LoL on a RAMDISK, lets see the results
Exactly 16 seconds, same with a SSD on second load. While a SSD can provide a decent speedup, it's obvious that my loading time is limited by other factors.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kArL1337

Junior Member

17-07-2011

I once played LoL on a RAM disc and still had people with faster loading times. But I'm playing in 2560 x 1440 at max settings, though. And on a *cough* Mac *cough*.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azeirah

Senior Member

17-07-2011

I've noticed that loading times are way quicker after it's loaded at least once. Like when reconnecting.
My first loading time is around 20 seconds, when reconnecting I can be back in 5.
I've got a pretty decent pc
phenom II x4 955 BE
Hd5770
4GB ram @ 1333Mhz
Nobody cares about the rest


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

grack sparrow

Senior Member

17-07-2011

get a quad core and overclock it, problem solved


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

5h1nj1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

17-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohums View Post
It really depends on what is slow. We've found that sometimes its caused by GPU, sometimes CPU and sometimes disk speed (but only on really low end hard drives). The slowness is caused by texture loading for most people.
The loading speed is hardly affected by GPU.
Mostly it's a matter if disk speed and data fragmentation (not only on lowend drives), available RAM (buy more) and sometimes some old CPUs are not performing well.

edt: Oh, and people often forget, that the speed can be greatly affected by other processes running in the background (antivirus, p2p sw, some messaging sw, malware of course and stuff like that.