Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Art of War, League of Legends Version.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hanshin

06-01-2010

Hello everyone, This is captain Obvious speaking. In this Post I'll try to make a list of tips leading to a good playing style, and thus winz. Why? because at least 50% of the people I play with and against, especially when picking up, just never apply thoses, even if they know it well. Theses "tricks" are based on common sense, but they need to become reflexes if you want your games to go smoothly.

NOTE THAT FOR DOTA PLAYERS, THOSES ADVICES ARE COMMON SENSE. Want to be on par with them? Just follow theses steps.

I.Know Your Ennemy
There's about 70 heroes in this game, half the number of heroes in Dota. Nonetheless, Dota players know, and play most of the champions. Because when you know what awaits you, you're a step ahead of your ennemy.
I'm not saying you should play fifty games with each hero, you don't even have to play them, but you must at least know their skills. How? Lol champions's page (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/champions), Practice games, and of course playing against.
This is what you cannot possibly let happen : "Hey I'll try to kill this little blue thing with his stick. He can't possibly hurt me, He's so small...WTF 1600 with one spell??"

II.Move quick, move well
On your game user interface, about 1/25 of your screen is covered with a very important item :The map. It's like mirrors in a car : every 8 secondes, you must check it.

Once you understand the situation, act wisely : some foes missing? Even one can make the difference between your life and death. So always check on your map, and if you don't see someone who should be on your lane, yell it on the chan, ping it on the map, in one word : announce it.

On a side note, always check with tab when your opponents are dead, the remaining time before their ressurection. This is also part of mapreading.

III.Range is everything
Range is the ultimate advantage, whether it is in real war, or in League of legends. You outrange your ennemy? You've already won. And know that you know all the champions, no one can possibly hit you. So, don't run around in gankplank parley's range like you're picking up some flowers, Put some distance between you and your pal if Ryze is facing you, and don't walk casually into Taric's stun range, or you're in for a painful surprise.

IV.Defense is offense...
Do you think Arsene Lupin would try any robbery without an escaple plan? Why do you think ther are lifeboats on cruisers?
You NEED to survive in order to do something. Sometimes even the greatest mapreading can't forsee an upcoming gank on you, and in teamfights you could well be the main target for the other team.
So first, build in some hp. EVERY HERO needs some hp. Even the slightest ruby cristal can save you, and if it helps you, it helps your team.
and Then, you always need to got a life saving option on your hero. Many heroes have escape abilities, were it blink like Kassadin's rift, charge like Tryndamere spinning slash, or just move speed buff like Janna's Zephyr.
If your Hero don't have any of theses, then it's up to you, invoker, to make up for that. remember that upgraded ghost is only one point in utilitary, and that exhaust also has a blinding function.
A Hero build without escape possibility is utter fail.

V.And Offense is Defense
Blank shot is 60 damage on mages char, and approximatively 80 on others early game. I just can't think of one good reason as why -60 or -80hp on your target would be a bad thing.
So autoattack everytime given the opportunity. It's free for you, and even if your opponent has a possibility of healing, it will still cost him mana.

Incidentally, if you're on full CD on all of your spells, don't stand around, and NEVER run away. Just auto attack. It's simple psychology ; Let us observe a 2vs2 on a lane. You attack one of them and the other runs away. You can then think "Hey, he's alone now, it's 2vs1, he's doomed."
Explain me, If you can think that way, why does your opponent cannot do the same? Even if you're not using skills, you're here, and that presence is clearly in the ennemies minds, they have to compose with you, they can't possibly know that you can't use skills at the moment because of CD. So,NEVER RUN AWAY, Unless the odds are too small, like 5vs2 (of course you musn't fight in these conditions...).

Theses are the tricks separating a top elo player from a debutant.

Now, We'll see advanced knacks, specifics but frequent situations. These must become reflexes too, because they are also common knowledge for 90% of the players, but how many really apply them? too few, if you ask me.

I.About crowd control.
There are two types of CC : hard ones, those which just prevent you from doing anything, and soft ones, annoying but letting you in control.
There are only 3 Hard CC : fear, taunt, and stun. The other ones (snares, roots, pushbacks, silence, etc.) are soft CC.
So, in the loading screen, analyze the ennemy team, and list the crowd controls. Hard CC counts as 2, while soft CC count as 1. If the total excedes 5, Buy mercury trends. No questions. If not, it is up to you ; do you need +25 spellblock? or do you need more movespeed? Adaptation is the key to survival.
For exemple, ennemy team compose of Taric (1 stun), Corki, Karthus(1 snare), Fiddle (one fear, one silence), Shen (1 taunt). Total is : 2+0+1+3+2 =8. Mercury trends will be my best friend in this game.

II.About Last hits.
Hitting creeps is useless. Killing them isn't. It is as simple as that. Why bother beating a minion to death, when only one good hit gives you the same amount of gold and xp?

Train with your hero, learn about his attack. Is it swift or slow? Is it ranged or melee? Then train with creeps. How little life left is enough for one of your strikes to kill a minion?
Remember that your minions hits, too. So try to strike just before them. If you can finish off creeps, then you can get more gold than your natural income, and with more gold comes more stuff, and with more stuff, comes victory.

III.Warwick and Fiddlesticks
Those two sly foxes are always checking for any opportunity to gank. You've been warned. So, don't go unprepared, and take the best defense : intelligence!

Buy wards. Seriously. I've seen too many people going "yeah i'll buy wards, just let me buy part of my stuff first..." NO WAY. Warding bushes is ESSENTIAL, and even more in early game. It costs only 90g, come on! 3 creeps? one tower? You really need to set at least one ward in the river bushes, no matter your lane (that makes two wards if you're middle), if you want to survive. saving 90 gold isn't worth giving 400g to an ennemy.

Also, against them, you can ward/kill jungle creeps with auras. They depend on buffs to be effective, so exploit this weakness.

IV. Twitch, Evelynne, AP teemo, AD shaco and Akali
First, you need to buy at least one ward (the 150gp one) during laning phase, and set it in the middle of the lane. A stealth hero will always wait around you for a good chance to kill you, like a vulture. So they will stay a bit in your lane before attacking; if you have a ward, you'll see them before they attack, earning yourself time to fall back in safety.
If you won't die easily/you can kill them easily if given the chance, then buy Oracle. Don't wait for anyone else to do it, if you can carry it well. Then kill them when given the chance (if it's teemo, destroy mushrooms whenever you can with a ranged attack; don't let them explode on you or your teammates). You will only need to kill them once or twice to got your 400g back, but the time they spend dead or fearing you cannot be bought back.

Good Oracles bearers : Mordekaiser, taric, Sion, Nidalee, Mundo, Udyr, Nunu, Malphite...
bad Oracles bearers : Zilean, Annie, Twisted fate, Ezreal, Yi,...

V.AP shaco
90% of the AP shaco will just spam their jack-in-the-boxes in the bushes bordering the lane they are in, making it very easy to counter : just don't go in the bushes! never follow shaco if he looks like he's running away, and let the tank open the way when marching through the jungle.
The remaining ones will be smart enough to put their boxes in places you're forced to go, like your escape route from the bad teamfight, or the bushes where on of his ally was fleeing into. Use the same method as for junglers : wards. If you know where he is, you can act accordingly.

VI. Healing Teams
Yes, I Know, Heals are annoying as hell. But they are not necessarily a major hindrance, If you cant control them. How? first 2 options : gankplank passive, or katarina Killer instincts ; the main problem with thoses two is that you will probably not have Gankplank or Katarina in you team each and everytime you're matched against Soraka,Taric, Nidalee, Warwick, or Janna.

The other option is one item, Executionner's calling. about 60% of the heroes can buy this item without it completely destroying their build. There will be one in your team, that's inevitable. And if it's you, don't wait for others to buy it. It doesn't matter if you loose a bit of damage, or a bit attack speed. JUST BUY IT, before 30mn, the sooner the better.
I've played with it many times, and I can truly say that the flow of the game reversed from the time I got Executionner's calling. Don't say "yeah, i'll buy it, just getting part of my stuff beforehand". That isn't gonna work. no item build is better than the one specifically designed for the team you're facing right now.

VI.Katarina
Katarina's skills are magical damage. 100%. So get some chalice, mercury trends, banshee veil, anything, but don't stay at 30 spellblock.
Moreover, Katarina's killing machine is her ulti. Have you ever seen one Kat getting you from 100% to 0%hp only with her bouncing blades and shunpo? Neither do I. And katarina's ulti is easy to counter if you apply what I've told you until know. You can buy some wards, you can escape it with a blink, you can just stun/silence/pushback/fear her.

VII.Jax
Unfortunately, Jax is not the kind of hero anyone can counter. Exhaust is no use against him because it doestn't prevent him from charging his uti, and physical attacks only makes him stronger. The only ways of killing him are : to disable him a long enough time for the magic bursters to kill him ; to be a tank with a thorn mail ; or to get a sword of the divine and enough burst to kill him properly without him dodging.

VIII.Ryze
In laning phase, this hero can be devastating, especially when combined with blitzcrank's hook or soraka defensive power. here are The keys to survive ryze until you can gank him properly:
- Play defensively until you get a little spellblock. It doesn't matter if you can't last hit correctly and earn less gold, as long as ryze doesn't get gold from killing you.
- Stay away from your mate, and stay away from Ryze. His spells have a short range, especially his root. So don't act foolish, if ryze walks your way, don't let him cage you, and pull back.
- If you can kill him, that is to say you and your mate have enough damage ouput and some crowd control, wait just after he casted his spell flux. He's far less dangerous without, so you now have a 5-8 second window to kill him. That may be enough, Ryze is not famous for his health points. But beware of anything that could protect him, cause if you fail to kill him, he won't fail you back.

IX. Udyr and rammus
Udyr and rammus are probably the champions with the most successful gank rate. Why? bear stance, which gives the latter a on hit stun (treat it as a stun each 5 sec or so) AND a move speed buff, making him almost impossible to avoid ; for rammus, powerball give him incredible speed and his taunt is longer than a stun. More over, many of them take ghost and jungle, so they can pop up at any time with over 450 move speed.
Counter is simple, the same as any jungler : ward your bushes, and don't push too forward! they cannot gank if you are on your side of the lane. Of course this can feel a little frustrating, but with a little practice you will discover that there is a spot just outside the tower range where no one can possible gank you and where you can last it everything since the minions fight at this place. let yourself be pushed to your tower and it will appear.

X. Demacia champions
All heroes from demacia are in a special tier called "demacia tier". This means those champions are not really balanced, in the way they got a really strong early, and a tweaked(nearly broken) skill that makes them very dangerous when fed.
Luckily, Sona, Galio and now Garen were nerfed pretty hard, so if fed they are just powerful, not ridiculously OP.
But beware of Lux, Xin Zhao and Poppy. Lux has strong nukes in early, a root and a shield, Xin zhao has three talon strike, (airbourne knock every 3 second or so, since he easily get his 1 AS), meaning you can't escape from him, and poppy is insanely powerful, through her passive (she reduce large amounts of damage by 30%, don't dive her), and her A which can do over 1000 damage if you are her target.
if you ever run across one of them, don't panick, and just be very careful. just farm, let them take your tower, but do not die.Your first tower is 150gp, your death is 300gp per kill (and you can die more than once). Just wait for team fights and stuff, Demacia heroes tend to get out of breath midgame and late game.

X. Use your head
This is my final advice. listen to your guts, trust your mind. Don't be stupid.

Trying out Nashor when the ennemy team is sound and safe, just lurking around somewhere on the map can be your greatest mistake.
When fleeing from the ennemy base, which includes Ashe, don't run in the middle of the lane. She will got you for sure with her arrow.
Don't start a fight if your damage dealers are not around. This will result in the best case in forced recall because of no more mana/life, without posing serious threat to the ennemy team.

Ther are many situation who can easily be resolved with an inch of common sense, if you applied correctly everything I taught you.

And Here it is. Sorry if I sounded preposterous or condescending, that was absolutely not my intention. Also, Sorry for ranting for so long, but I really think it is worth it. As I've said before, too many times I've seen people not applying those advices. But when talking about it , 99% of them would say "of course, it's basic knowledge!"; Then why won't they do it?
If you are high elo, reflect upon yourself. are you really doing all thoses simple things?
And if you are a newbie, I doubt reading it with suddently improve your gaming level, but remembering it and using it in every game from now will surely do.

Thanks for reading me. I doubt there will be any, but please feel free to ask any questions. And if you find this guide useful, ask it to be stickied, I'll be glad to help more players.

Edit 01/11/11 : by somewhat popular demand, I have added more tips on specific champs.

Reason Hmmer

06-01-2010

Good post, every newby should read this.

I browsed corner to corner, didn't read it all, but what i read was solid in most cases.

Gj

Dark Tranquility

06-01-2010

Very very very good post mate. What i like most is "USE YOUR BRAIN" quote and i believe u can add so many things here. I ve lost so many matches because people don't have a common sense. You can see 4 people hunting 1 enemy just for a kill while they can go and bring a tower down.. This game is not team death match.. It's all about destroyimg the enemy nexus. Thanks for your time and i hope it ll get the attention it deserves.

5p0ng3b0b

06-01-2010

well written. I mostly liked the part about the life saving option for your champion. Only few ppl actually think about it. They only think about kill kill kill...

ram9n

06-01-2010

90% of the level 30 players didn't know this and will never bother to read it

BigGun

06-02-2010

Very good article. And you are 100% right. We know, but we don't use this knowledge. Anyway, thanks for your work.

Xerxeras

06-02-2010

Well written. The only thing I miss is that you did not mention the Jungle - Buffs/Dragon/Baron.

But thats the only basic issue thats missing, its a very nice guide.

Fragz007

06-02-2010

gj m8 took me around 300games to start using all those things you mentioned except i never counted CC`s before match but i will now

Lauz

06-02-2010

good stuf! +1

Tecumseh

06-02-2010

Stickied

Tecumseh