Certificate Error Solution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skelton

21-05-2011

This solution was originally found by Rhapsodyronin or atleast the guys who posted in his thread. However a lot of you aren't checking other posts or threads for a solution to this because it doesn't say "SOLUTION TO ALL PROBLEMS" in the title. So I've taken it upon myself to create a topic for that specified requirement.

You first want to open up Internet Explorer as this is what LoL uses for its Internet Options.

Open your Internet Explorer. Go to the settings in the top right hand corner. It's a little cogwheel. Open Internet Options. Go to the Advanced tab within the pop up box that opened. Using the scroll bar within this little box scroll allllllll the way down till you get to the Security Section. From there you want to make sure that the box that says "Check for server certificate revocation" is NOT TICKED. Once you've unchecked the box click apply and restart Internet Explorer.

Once you restart head on over to the Digicert Certificates page once you're on that page You're looking for the DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA which would be the one at the top.

Click test my browser... to check and see if your browser supports that certificate. If you have IE8/9 then it should support it. If not. Update your Internet Explorer.

Once you've done that then you should Download it. I placed it on my Desktop for easy access. Scan it for viruses as you should do with all downloads. If you haven't found anything then Double click to open it.

A security warning will pop up. Ignore it. It's about it not recognising the publisher. Once you've done that another screen will pop up leaving you with little option other than to Install Certificate via the button that says Install Certificate...

The install wizard will pop up. It should be a case of just pressing Next Next and then Finish but remember to read everything that's going on to avoid human mistakes.

Then a screen will pop up saying "import successful" and voila.

You have successfully by-passed the certificate troubles. If this guide was too taxing for you however I have created a 3-picture guide that I will upload. Right now.

Here they are Pictures 1,2 and 3. They're in that order aswell so don't say I'm not good to you. If this guide does not cut the mustard and you still cannot log in try and post specific error messages you recieve or what is happening to you and when it started.

ALSO THIS HAPPENED LAST YEAR WHERE YOUR SYSTEM CLOCK WAS NOT CORRECT. PLEASE CHECK YOUR DATE AND TIME IF THIS GUIDE DOES NOT HELP IF THE DATE IS SET TO LAST YEAR THEN YOU NEED TO CORRECT THAT.

GOOGLE CHROME USERS
SupremeEx's Fix

This fix was found my SupremeEx but since his English isn't the best I'll re-type it in hopes that I copy his solution out better.

If you use Google Chrome the Internet Explorer fix may not work as planned. Go into your Google Chrome Browser and click the options menu. It's found in the top right corner next to the little star. and Select Options. A screen will open and on the left hand side you will see 3 choices

Basic Settings
Personal Items
Under The Bonnet

Select Under The Bonnet and from here scroll down to Security. There you have the option "Manage Certificates". Select this option. From here you search for the Certificate that is not working. For Supreme the certificate was PROD.EU.LOL.RIOTGAMES.COM. By not working I assume he means Expired. Click the Certificate and then select Advanced. He then made sure that Server Authentication was not selected. This made it work for him.

MY GOOGLE CHROME THEORY

I personally think that Chrome, when made default browser, is over riding Internet Explorer with its own options.. that and it's a secret ploy to take over the world.

My Solution

My theoretical solution is that is you Open Google Chrome. Go to Settings(The Wrench in the Top Right). Options. Under The Bonnet. Scroll to Security you'll see 3 boxes.

Check for server certificate revocation.
Use SSL 3.0
Use TLS 1.0

Make sure that Check for server certificate revocation is unchecked. Then close the settings. You should be fine after that. All in theory mind, I don't actually have a way of testing this as I never actually had the problem in the first place.

EDIT: I'VE NOTICED THAT THE PROBLEM CERTIFICATE IN QUESTION IS PROD.EU.RIOTGAMES.COM. I DON'T HAVE THIS CERTIFICATE INSTEAD I HAVE THAWTE ROOT AND IT'S FOUND IN THIS DIRECTORY C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\0.0. 0.44\deploy\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Resources. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	2748
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	29738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	1806
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	29739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	1721
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	29740  

CaosProfundo

21-05-2011

I've done all of this and the problem persists.

Skelton

21-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaosProfundo View Post
I've done all of this and the problem persists.
Explain exactly what your problem is. Is it still the Certificate error?

Also have you performed any maintainence on your PC. Any System Restores or anything like that? Have you updated everything that is required? I know some people were using an updated IE browser that LoL didnt like.

Here is a list of all the things that Rhapsody tried to fix his issue in his thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodyronin View Post
tried:
checking cmos battery and bios time
updating windows (windows xp sp3) and windows date/time
tried installing the root certificates in question from DigiCert site to the Trusted Root Authorities Store since according to Windows, this is where there were supposed to be (got a security risk warning in the process)
Nothing worked. I don't have IE installed; I run Firefox 4. If it helps, I've installed nothing since before the emergency maintenance earlier today, and the game ran normally before that.

I'm currently re-installing LOL but I'm not too optimistic about it.

ZemanoRex

21-05-2011

ty dude its working , ty alot !!

Osis OD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

21-05-2011

thanks, it's helped me
now all work fine

Veigrom

21-05-2011

when i try download it says that i already installed that certificate

Skelton

21-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veigrom View Post
when i try download it says that i already installed that certificate
Check the Date and Time on your PC

Veigrom

21-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelton View Post
Check the Date and Time on your PC
everything is fine , besides certificate error maybe x]

Skelton

21-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veigrom View Post
everything is fine , besides certificate error maybe x]
Try and install a different certificate then. Instead of the one you have installed. See if that works.

Veigrom

21-05-2011

ok i tried something and it worked .
Even if your methods couldn't help me (maybe my problem was a little different) still Thank you for fast replys