Got a question? Ask a designer!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Curia Chasea

06-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Vessel View Post
That map already exists. Its called Dominion :P
Yeah, but as I recall Dominion is shaped and played differently than Summoner's Rift, right? :P

Lombond

09-04-2012

what happend to omen?

notagamer

11-04-2012

feral pony any chance sunfire cape gets lowered cost cause its high cost for such stats it gives.

Foucz

19-04-2012

Another Round of champion Polish : English
Hecarim

Heca - Animals fighting with each other in circus during XIX century BUT second meaning is : something demolishing that happened fast when none expected it

Oh and can u remake this thread ? it got a bit too big for searching your answer from same time ago :x

This for some reason is the only thing that made me laugh in all lol quotes
Pullsfire Ezreal
Computer: "Ezreal, do you require a map?"
Ezreal: "No."

Shame i spoil it for myself
Why this was changed ? both of those are brilliant
On the test realm, Ezreal's /joke was "My age exceeds your IQ... significantly." and the taunt - "Just the thought of killing you is likely to cause it." These were changed on live release.

Lepotec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

21-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foucz View Post
something demolishing that happened fast when none expected it
Sounds about right in reference to Hecarim.

PrasHx

23-04-2012

Can you tell us any info about when "soon" will Pulsefire Ezreal be out?

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

23-04-2012
361 of 414 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluagh View Post
FeralPony
I thought about moving to west but your topic was the key argument to stay here (to have an account from which I could write here).

Sorry for long post but I want to describe my stance over a matter that is really important for me in this game.

Few days ago I read on the US forum that Morello is trying to kill healers in this game and is generally making healer suited for current meta (although AFAIK he said that he don't like the 0cs meta). He even wrote that the game would be better without my favorite champion - Soraka. This and past support nerfs (I suspect that it is his doing) made me wonder how long will LoL be a game for me.
When I started playing this game over 2 years ago I knew what I want to do. I enjoyed actively working towards saving and helping other players. At that moment it meant that I would heal them for significant amounts, I could farm, because people knew that It will mean that my significant help will be more significant and better. At that point healers was the main targets in the enemy teams (squishy and easy to kill but efficient if left alone) and every team usually had no more than single healer. Over time after first nerfs supports (mainly healers) became additional health batteries for carries and they now are mostly ward placers and commanding vehicles (scouting with CV memorizing respawns and so on).
I love actively farming, building items, using skills, saving others. Not buffing them to make them shine and increase their ego but making direct difference between their death or survival being. I want to be a savior not a sidekick! Now it seems that this game is becoming less enjoyable for me. I cannot do stuff that I liked. Instead I have to use my small amounts gold for warding (what I do but I hate) and should constantly check the whole map (keep track the buff+baron+dragon timers, presence of their jungler).
People say that "supports" are important and valuable assets to the team in the way they are now (you even nerfed wards). It is always good to have someone who will help the team with the map awareness. Knowing who is where can be the key to victory. Please don't call people doing this supports. In military it is called reconnaissance not support.

I had a lot more things to write but not to discourage you too much from reading it decided to stop at this point and start my questions.

1) Do all designers follow Morellos view on supports in LoL? Is there anyone who opposes him in all this nerfs to healing?
2) Is there any chance for me to have a champion in LoL that could be allowed to farm and save people in other way than by application of CC?
3) You (Riot) introduced Dominion for people who loves more dynamic and action based gameplay. I hoped that it would drain attention of action hungry devs and players so I could play as I want to play (even with higher ratios healers are less viable as choices for Dominion). Is there any chance that after introducing it to the ranked system and by that (I hope) to the tournament scene that design team will take different approach to other maps and game modes (to satisfy tastes of more diverse players)?
4) Is there any chance to change aiming mechanism of Karmas cone to this used by Miss Fortune, Mordekaiser and Annie?
5) Is there any place where I could produce wall of text much bigger than this with my analyze of current metagame and situation of supports and know that someone in the design team will read it (I know that the world is full of people who thinks that they know better and I suspect that design team is spamed with such ideas constantly)?
1) I want to be clear here. Morello is not on a warpath against all healing. Nor is he some evil heal hating dictator that nobody on the design team dare opposes. The aspect of healing that Morello dislikes is the infinite sustain style of healing, not clutch saves. He dislikes that sustain healing removes the element of attrition which is critical in almost every game. Is Morello alone in this view? No he isn't, but the extent to which people agree or disagree varies as our backgrounds and opinions vary. We all have our own opinions based on our experiences and observations across a broad spectrum of games. I personally agree with him in general that long sustained heals or heals over time are fine in many PvE games but in PvP they tend to stagnate games and create large balance problems.

The reason he has spoken several times about Soraka in particular was that she was the most blatant example of this philosophy. Her skills were two heals, mana sustain, and a short ranged nuke almost nobody bothered to cast. This caused people playing Soraka to take an even more passive role in lane as they were basically the health and mana battery you mention above. It caused the lane to stagnate and removed a lot of interesting play. I'm surprised you feel she is pigeon-holed more into that role now than before. The changes done to her were done to push her more into those clutch saves that you mention. That's why the heal value was increased, on a longer cooldown, and offers a huge defensive boost. When it was shorter cooldown and offered less immediate benefit Soraka players cast it on cooldown. Which is in direct opposition to leading to an interesting lane experience and clutch saves. Wish however, is a great example of a clutch heal and why it hasn't been changed much. It feels fantastic to use and save someone with and due to the long cooldown of the spell is one you don't want to waste to merely keep someone topped off. The zero-CS support meta is a whole different can of worms you will find a lot of varied opinions on across not only the player base but the design department as well.

2) I think some of our support items like Locket of the Iron and Solari and Shurelia's Reverie accomplish this. It sounds like you have something specific in mind with that question though. What exactly did you have in mind?

3) Quite possibly.

4) Just to be sure I'm answering the right question (correct me if I'm wrong). You are suggesting we switch Karma's Q to the walk forward until you reach your target position and then cast, instead of the fire in the direction you click from your current location right? Personally I prefer the second version as I think it's more consistent with the bulk of our skillshots and snappier in general. That said I don't have strong opinions on this either way. I'll mention it to Guinsoo though and see what he thinks.

5) I scan through the forums pretty much every day so I can pretty much guarantee I'll see it, though you can always post a link in this thread if you doubt my diligence . I can't guarantee a reply as my time is pretty limited, but I promise to read it over.

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

23-04-2012
362 of 414 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migotliv View Post
On another note, to ask a question for FeralPony here - how about a new free-ward item like how Wriggle's Lantern works? Currently that item gives only very specific benefits, whereas an upgrade from the Philo stone that supports (and many other classes that want a gold item) would have a very viable upgrade there, and a strategic decision to make whether to keep its Philo Stone's gold generation or go for the ward (or even have reason to buy both items, upgrading to ward item first and later Shurelia's?).

Actually.... didn't Riot already consider this option? If so, what negative consequences would form if such a free-ward from a gold item upgrade was introduced? Would it disrupt the balance of gameplay somehow? I can only see it as a positive change, but, as a support player I'm obviously biased here.
A new warding item has definitely been considered and I know Live Team has previously done a lot of research and testing into ward items, and our ward system in general. I can't speak to their results much as I wasn't on the team at the time anything I can say about that would be my personal hypotheses.

I do think there are a lot of balance concerns that would go into an item like that though, but I am not sure how easy it is to work around them. Increasing the number of wards on the map for example has an extremely high impact on the flow of the game and how the game is played. The other issue I would some concerns about if an item like that was too accessible would be lane stagnation. Usually one, or at worst 2 wards is enough to prevent your lane from getting ganked if you are on top or bottom lane. An item that allows you effectively a permanent ward like Wriggles since the cooldown matches the duration would effectively permanently shut down the ability a lane. I'm not saying we couldn't make a new item like this but there is a lot to consider not only in the individual item balance but also how an item like this could cause far reaching changes or shifts in game flow and the meta.

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

23-04-2012
363 of 414 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobelPriceless View Post
about game mechanics...
i run up and down, feeling like a kid again ... then poof its gone
game dies, i try to relog and when i do... i see minions fighting and they are not dying
and one time i had flying orbs from those casters hiting me for like 10+ min
(not doing no dmg but they flew to me where ever i went)... i was like wtf hehe.
just tought to point it out, if you didnt know about it yet.
also ... gotta say... one time we lock in... loading screen... 2 ppl go off... waited quite some time... third loged... then we all loged i think... then i got mail saying i got a penalty... lame
also will you do anything like a mechanic that will replace afk players with fresh ppl ? like they go afk... 1 min... boom... they replaced with new guy our lvl... that would be kick azz. (just an idea)
well would be nice to hear more ideas about it.

-have a nice day
AFK systems and disconnect bugs are way out of my realm, other folks much more talented than myself are working on those issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migotliv View Post
I've seen what you mention happen a few times. It's all connected to the game memorizing certain actions when a player disconnects. There will be minions displayed in places they're not, with no HP bars and cannot be targeted. And one time an ally Nautilus was continually assaulted by the cannon minion, with the cannonballs following him wherever he went.

These are mostly graphical errors, but they can get annoying. As far as I understand though, only the player who DCed is seeing them, the rest play fine. So it's kind of like having hallucinations.

However, there is one game mechanics effect that I noticed that might result from such a DC. Let's say that between the moment you lost connection and the time you reconnected, an enemy tower in your lane fell. Then you keep pushing that lane, approach the next tower, want to attack it...

It's untargetable. I understand that in order to destroy turrets in order and avoid backdoors, the ones in front have to fall before the new turrets can be damaged, however on reconnecting the game doesn't re-check which turrets are down. I had to let the minions destroy that turret and then could continue playing, attacking the inhibitor turret normally. Think the live team can do something about this error, FeralPony? Like, re-check which turrets are down when a player reconnects, or, say do a check once per minute, if that's not too much?
Unfortunately those bugs are way outside of my ability to fix. I'll bring them up again with our team though.

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

23-04-2012
364 of 414 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobelPriceless View Post
im sure they are working on it , i guess its just a matter of time before they fix it
did not mean nothing bad btw. i personaly love the game, but fix those minor things and it would be a lot more appealing. also would be nice to have a "training ground" thing where you could - shall we say "train" with a certain champion you are new to... just to try some abilitys out ... like a map & you are alone there and you see a training dummy infront of you hehe. just an idea

kind regards !
Training dummy could be cool. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojrzesz117 View Post
why first use Q and R at swain, make a lag at all members of mine team. its quite annoying ask everyone "ready for lag?" in each game
I haven't noticed any performance issues with those spells personally, but I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadewing View Post
Q: Are there are plans for making a 4-legged champion?
I just made one!