An Explanation of Ranked Team Ratings

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

10-12-2011
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Hello Summoners!

We’re aware there has been some confusion about the Ranked Teams rating system, especially surrounding the relationship between a team’s rating and how many games that team has played. We’d like to take a moment to provide a brief overview of the system, but first want to explain the goals of the feature.

1. We want each team to have a single, collective rating that accurately represents how strong the team is when compared to other teams.
  2. We want matchmaking to be effective at creating balanced, competitive Ranked Team matches, even for newly created teams.

With those goals in mind, here is a general explanation of how team ratings are determined:

• Each player who participates in Ranked Team games has a hidden personal rating tracked by the system.
  • The rating for newly created (provisional) Ranked Teams is influenced by the personal rating of each member who joins the team.
  • In general, newly created teams formed by high skill players who have played many Ranked Team games will start with a higher rating.
  • Starting with a team rating below 1200 doesn’t mean your team is below average. Ranked Teams rating calculations work differently than Solo/Duo ratings. As a result, the majority of new ranked teams are assigned a rating below 1200.

This system helps ensure newly created teams are initially assigned an accurate rating, and improves the matchmaking experience for all teams who participate in ranked play. It also, however, makes it possible for top tier players to form new teams and immediately start with very high ladder ranking.

As such, we’ve identified some system improvements that should make ratings for newly created teams a bit more consistent and minimize some potential edge cases. We are in the process of applying those adjustments and will continue to monitor the system to identify any further necessary improvements.

Thraw Omthar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2011

What is up with some teams getting to 1400+ elo with 3 wins and 3 losses while others are barely 1300 with 10+ wins, seems very fair.

RNX Chech

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowarth View Post
What is up with some teams getting to 1400+ elo with 3 wins and 3 losses while others are barely 1300 with 10+ wins, seems very fair.
Could be they start with high rating and then meet high elo teams and get 3-3 against those, resulting in a gain in elo even though only 50% win while the other team starts low rating and stomps noobs for 10 games resulting in lower elo gain and lower total elo.

Captain Europa

10-12-2011

old elo system was better :x

rjcombo

Lead Designer

11-12-2011
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowarth View Post
Teams that have a high rating with a low number of games completed were probably formed by players who have already played on other high-rated teams. The forthcoming changes I mentioned in the original post will help to dampen the edge cases though.

rmx2217

11-12-2011

that means that an 1500 elo player without trying will have 1600 rating in team so thats unfair good job riot

Kaling of Titans

11-12-2011

This doesn't explain why my team went against even-ish elo team for our first math, won it, then got matched up with a team full of 1600-1700 personal elo each team, lost it. then get matched up with a team full of sub-800's in personal elo, won it,t then get matched up with 1500-1700 personal elo team, then lost it, and once again got paired off with sub 800 team.

BAJSNÖDIG

11-12-2011

Hi. I have a couple of questions:

What happens if a new member joins a non-provisional team? Does his/her hidden Elo affect the team's?

You said in the NA. forums "average teams *will* trend towards a 1200 rating over time. They just don't start that way." This is confusing because I just checked the EUNE TT rankings and only ~15% of the teams were above 1200 Elo, how can this be?

Toxic Chaos

11-12-2011

Dear riot the lvl of the players that play the game is lowest that ever. I remember when i joined the game there was a nice lvl of difficulty now a days its redicoulus.I will go back at playing dota for sure at least there is a better rating system there. At lol when i lost my banner from 2 disconnects i was lossing all the way after that. its impossible to go back to banner if u lose it.
its not possible for someone with over 300 games to play with 1200 rating because he have 150 win 150 lose because the only reason he is there ots bacause some1 will feed or someone will leave.
I think u should reconsider the rating system!
Or at least make a tool with Riot points that will send our ranked status at 0 - 0 unranked !
think how many ppl will buy that ! For exmple i was 1400 rating too soon and i got down fast coz i was playing with unranked gamers !
Now i stuck at 1180 rating and i am w8ing for the season to end and start from unranked again because u cant go to higher ratings atm .

Toxic Chaos

11-12-2011

Hello,

i would like to tell you an idea i got and i think it will help all the league of legends players and riot as well !
As we all know with the rating system that we have got once you lose your Banner and 2-3 games its impossible to go higher, so most gamers stop playing ranked games and they are waiting for the season to end so they can start unranked again.
Here is my thought :
why dont riot make a tool that can make your ranked status 0 win- 0 lose and u will get again unranked so all player will have more chances to get better rating and more chances generaly!
No matter how u look at it this will be good for riot as well because there are so many unskilled players that they want more chances to get rating so this way riot get the money with riot points for the restart rating and players get the second chance!
Anyway if the player is not good he will just get low rating again but he may get more restart rating u know how it goes!
Respond this is a realy good idea !

thanks for your time i hope we will see some tool like that.