No nationalism, no bigotry, and no abuse

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IC ColdFeet

30-06-2011

I canīt say that a split is awesome since i play with alot of awesome friends and players from all over europe, french german russian polish yeah well you get the picture basicly whole europe. But if this increases the stabillity it will be worth it imo. Regarding all the flaming regarding the west east.... itīs really just alot of ****, iīve met awesome players from all zones, sure itīs annoying if you get into games with a semi premade that refuse to communicate in anything exept their native tounge, but heck that happends from all countries now and then so far iīve seen it from most countries not only russia france and italy as many said in their posts. But i canīt see the points people are trying to base their arguments on about east/west breaking the game, just cordinate with your friends/teams and swap server, simple as that.
Any way, thx for the updates Ymir, you and Cpt Sturm are doing a great job keeping a dialogue with us gamers open, now keep it up and toss some cookies now and then =P

Ymir

Player Behaviour Expert

Follow Ymir on Twitter

30-06-2011
5 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janskuli View Post
You have a good point, and I hope you can be reasonable with this. But please try to actually understand what racism means.

I feel people have every right to be narrow minded, or even plain dumb, and express their opinion. Personal insults or insults based on ones nationality, color of skin etc. are a different thing and not to be tolerated, but I really hope you see the clear line between an opinion and an insult.

IMO you can't ban people just because of their opinions. If someone would say for example "I don't want to be associated with Eastern European people, because I don't like them", I wouldn't say it has crossed the line at all.

I don't consider myself narrow minded nor racist - I've worked abroad in various countries and cultures, and I even have a foreign girlfriend (besides the point, but anyhow) - but I STILL don't support punishing people for what they are. I've, unfortunately, seen real racism, and some 16-year old online gamer raging about French is pretty far from it.

I mean it's your game and your community and all. I'm not the one deciding who can be part of the community, you can set the limitations, sure. All I want to say is that please be reasonable with this and try also to understand that one cause for racism is misunderstandings in communication. If you PERMANENTLY ban every borderline racist comment, you are making the same mistake. People are just now having some emotions about this, that's all. As I've experienced (not to belittle anyone other's, perhaps different, experiences - or not to glorify my own), different cultures use different amount of emotion when communicating. Some hide their feelings, some say them out loud - even if they are inappropriate.
There's a difference between saying I have a cultural and historical attachment to the West and making mention of Slavic people and equating being on the same server as being in the ghetto.

Those people will be permanently banned, because we don't want that kind of unpleasant posting on the forums. The same goes for those who are making claims that Poland is a country with little talent dragging others down, or those shouting homophobic abuse at Swedish players with concerns they want answering.

This is all nationalism, racism and bigotry in general. I've spent a lot of time in Scandinavia over the years, I love the people I love the countries. Many of my friends in Ireland are Polish, German, French and numerous other nationalities. They are all people, good people, regardless of their country of origin and from a cultural point of view they do not rely on hate to make their points. Nobody should.

Emotion yes, passion absolutely, but never blind prejudice and ignorance because they are not speaking for anyone but themselves and a small minority that is loud. We're not making blanket bans, we're rooting out those who cross the line and we absolutely get the difference between the passion that makes for great dicussion and the hate that tears it apart..

ShadowNetBG

30-06-2011

Should've never bought riot points, I've spent around 40 euros. Should have gotten Magicka instead from Steam. Even investing in Spiral Knights for energy would have been better than supporting this travesty.

Vaernil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-06-2011

Ymir, I am from Poland, and I wrote from my point of view. Eastern Europe will be treated as ghetto and will be treated as inferior to West. That's a fact.
Many people will migrate to West, because honestly, who wanna be Europe B? Every top tier team will be there, better scene, better players etc.
So it's rly shortsighted solution. And as I called it many times "halfassed".

Ymir

Player Behaviour Expert

Follow Ymir on Twitter

30-06-2011
6 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaernil View Post
Hehe, and deleted my post just because I don't agree and I think it's the worst move ever. Why do you even ask for opinions when you are not ready to listen?
I deleted your post because you're reffering to things as being a ghetto. I don't believe you understand quite how offensive what you were saying is and gave the benefit of the doubt.

We're always ready to listen that's why we're removing elements that make such dialogue impossible to have such as hyperbolic rants that refer to events 60 years in the past that are still horrific in relation to our new Platform.

Don't do this and we will all be able to have much better discussion on the topic.

Cazzandrys

30-06-2011

People complain about server-issues 24/7 and because of being so immature "demand" RP as compensation from Riot and as soon as Riot offers a solution, people go even more crazy, because it's a geogrphical split and some argue that this is racist.

Seriously? A geographical split is racist?

How racist are Borders then? Because, you, they split as well...
How racist is the concept of countries? Because countries split Europe into ... well ... COUNTRIES!

For the future, firstly, think about what you want! Don't scream for a solution, and as soon as it's here, rage about it. Secondly, before you write on the forums, on ANY thread, activate your brain, so that your post has some actual thought put into it.

Because right now, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, people only range/whine about it...

Champion-Buff: Rage/Whine!
Champion-Nerf: Rage/Whine!
Server down: Rage/Whine!
550 RP compensation for free: Rage/Whine!
Server-Solution: Rage/Whine!

Honestly, I much rather have the community split up by age, so I don't have to deal with this immature impatient kids, who only rage and flame and always call for more and more and more, and "demand" [those threads were just ridiculous] a bazillion RP.

inb4 downvotes by 11-yearolds ofc

Wabo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-06-2011

I think that many people will use their free transfer, transfering to West-Europe for better competitive play. So on the long-term this won't solve anything I asume. I hope I am wrong though!

Yea yea, my grammar is failing atm, I just woke up, give me a break to wake up :}

Kazh

30-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir View Post
I deleted your post because you're reffering to things as being a ghetto. I don't believe you understand quite how offensive what you were saying is and gave the benefit of the doubt.

We're always ready to listen that's why we're removing elements that make such dialogue impossible to have such as hyperbolic rants that refer to events 60 years in the past that are still horrific in relation to our new Platform.

Don't do this and we will all be able to have much better discussion on the topic.
I dont think you realize how offensive it is to force people to choose between friends. I have friends on both servers i have to choose since i probably cant get everyone to migrate to one.

FPMShulo

30-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazzandrys View Post
How racist are Borders then? Because, you, they split as well...
How racist is the concept of countries? Because countries split Europe into ... well ... COUNTRIES!
You obviously missed the point of the European Union and what it keeps on trying to establish, apart from financial reasons.

Kawah

30-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawah View Post
But my argument isn't about me personally transferring, it is more that the Scandinavian countries would be better placed on the West server, due to having a more similar culture and mannerism. I know that I'm free to transfer to the place I'd prefer to play, but every Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish person beginning this game after this split will feel more out of place and less likely to continue playing, simply because they end up on the East server. It will also create a barrier between me and half my friends list. I must admit that I don't have any East players there other than Nordic ones. Half my list will vanish, simply because of our grouping.

This is not about language barriers, or that easterners are in ANY way worse players.. I mean, Shushei, the decidedly MVP of the winning team of the season 1 championship is a Polish player, and thousands of people worship him and watch his live streams, both from East and West.

It's simply that Scandinavians have more in common, culturally and intellectually (interest wise) with West. We will definitely fit better in on West servers. I have nothing against East and I wish the server and the people playing there all the best, but grouping Nordic with East is a big mistake. I'm not saying we're smarter or anything, I'm sure we are not.

My argument is 100% about one word; compatability. We have more of it with the west than with the east. Maybe the difference is as small as 60% west and 40% east, or 51% west of 49% east, but it IS more towards the West. We will be more comfortable and fit better in on West servers.

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope you'll bother reading it all.
I will shamelessly quote and bump my post from page 4, so that Ymir might read and reply to it. Kthnx.